Scape photography - single FL?

RaymondC

<p>Hi, I have been looking at medium format cameras and they are v hard to decide. Re: cityscapes and landscapes. Would you be happy with just one focal length? This is not paid photography, just serious amateur stuff ...</p>

<p>So ... I am kind of thinking about a fixed lens rangefinder in a 6x7 format or 6x9 format. As every interchangeable lens medium format is 1.8kg or more (with a normal lens attached). There is the Mamiya 7 but it comes at a price.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>A normal or slightly wider lens is the most versatile single-lens choice -- something equivalent to a 50mm or 35mm lens on a 35mm camera. In 6x7 that means somewhere between 65mm and 105mm. With my Pentax 67, my "normal" lens is a 90mm f/2.8. I've considered buying a 75mm as a "slightly wider" alternative, but if I did that I'd want to buy Pentax's 75mm shift lens, which is expensive and not terribly common.</p>

<p>I've been using a Voigtlander Bessa made in 1937. It is a fixed lens folding 6x9. I love the little camera and take it with me on trips, but I wouldn't want it to be my only camera. It attracts a lot of attention though!</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>A full frame DSLR with a good zoom will do better than your film MF camera in most ways that are important: smaller; lighter; more versatile/adaptable; equivalent image quality aside from different DOF performance; the weight/bulk advantages of memory cards over film; more accurate focus via live view; etc.</p>

<p>Dan</p>