scanning 35mm and 120mm showing full frame

filippo_birichino

hello everybody,

i was wondering if anybody know how to scan film and to show the full frame, i mean showing the number of the the film and generally anything is around the picture itself.

If i use the masks they all cut precisely around the actual photo and if i don't use them, the film doesn't stay flat on the scanner glass.

I am using epson scanners, not sure if for something like this i should use something different.

Please let me know

Thanks

Filippo

On the V700/750/800/850 you can use the glass holder. You will either need to wet mount or use a sheet of anti-Newton glass to dry mount on it.

Alternatively, you can use the 8x10 mask and scan directly on the bed. I've not actually done this, but I'd have my concerns about focus. You'll also need to do something to keep it flat-there again you can wet-mount although I'm uneasy doing that, or you can use the AN glass over top.

In all cases, when glass mounting, be sure the emulsion is facing DOWN to avoid newton rings.

Perhaps another option to scanning. If you have a macro lens, you could sandwich the film between two plates of glass and with some type of light source behind it (light table, flash, etc.), take a picture of it (raw) and pp as necessary. The results may not be as good as scanning, but it may be good enough to fulfill your needs.

There are still some new scanners that probably do a good job. 35mm is fairly common, 6x6 cm makes it harder and much more expensive.

A light table and a copy stand will work pretty well if you have a decent macro lens or bellows, etc. Color balance is not so much of a concern if you have digital image editing capability.

I still do enough shooting of film to have got a nice Nikon CoolScan 9000 after my Canoscan 4000 died. It was expensive, but since I bought it, the prices asked and even paid have gone up.

Super-CoolScan-9000-ED-crp.jpg.3627b1f063fe68c84ca4554ac6da300e.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a frame taken several years ago on my Rolleiflex, although it was scanned not too long ago(and I still actively shoot MF).

This was a wet scan on my V700 using the wet-mount adapter. I used spectroscopic grade Heptane and a sheet of glass on top-if I did much of this I'd get the mylar sheets from Aztek as working bubbles out from under the glass is a real pain.

198487037_frame29copy.thumb.jpg.9a6a421fe2730afb804c5ec99386d7a0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It looks great, thanks a lot for sharing

Here's a frame taken several years ago on my Rolleiflex, although it was scanned not too long ago(and I still actively shoot MF).

This was a wet scan on my V700 using the wet-mount adapter. I used spectroscopic grade Heptane and a sheet of glass on top-if I did much of this I'd get the mylar sheets from Aztek as working bubbles out from under the glass is a real pain.

[ATTACH=full]1225011[/ATTACH]