Scanners and Software Advice

Hey all,

I've been using a Canon 900f MKII with VueScan Pro for a while now, and while I've been reasonably happy with the results I recently tried a trial version of Silverfast SE 8 and was amazed at the differences right out of the scanner. VueScan rarely hits the color even nearly correct, and I've resorted to either scanning the negatives in raw and manually turning each image into a positive then color correcting in Photoshop, or, if the color is at least in the ballpark for a roll, flattening the image out as much as possible in VueScan. Either way the amount of post just to get the image to a basically satisfactory level is crazy time consuming. VueScan also constantly clips the blacks, and I find the interface so spartan I don't feel I have much control over what I'm doing.

I'm well aware of the cost of Silverfast vs Vuescan, as well as the company's reputation as not so consumer friendly (charging for upgrades and registering for new scanners) but I'm still thinking about making the switch. The time spent getting a decent looking image from which I can more easily pick my best frames and do any detail editing is a fraction of the time. Maybe it couldn't hurt to have both? VueScan definitely has a lot of strengths, and I've gotten lots of nice images out of it, its just not consistent especially with color accuracy and range.

As for my scanner, I'm reasonably happy with the resolution of many of my scans, but reading online there's a lot of debate over the actual resolution of these scanners. I think now that I'm doing mostly color 35mm film instead of black and white, Epson would have been the better brand choice.

Is there a scanner below the V800 price range that would be worth upgrading to? Or is the general consensus that Flatbeds are no longer the way to go? I am constantly on Instagram and various online publications and see other 35mm images with sharpness and color ranges much better and deeper than I've ever achieved. Would pricier consumer-grade scanner really make that much of a difference? Or is it possible my Lightroom/Photoshop skills are that below par?

I've learned a lot over the past couple of years, but I feel I've hit a roadblock in terms of learning curve. I'm basically self and youtube taught, but if there's a good learning solution, or a needed equipment upgrade, I'm all for any ideas anyone has.

Thanks so much!

-Contax G1

-Canon 900f MKII

-VueScan, Lightroom, & PS

-Scan at 4800

Personally I'd say you already have the tools. My preference is Vuescan over Silverfast, but the learning curve with either isn't short for high quality work, and some people are more comfortable with one than the other. If you favor Silverfast then go for it. Most medium range scanners do an adequate job unless you are intent on producing exhibition prints, in which case it may be more economical to have the work professionally scanned by a firm specializing in that genre - I've tried both. Just my opinion.
  • Like 1

Here are two of my favorite authors for Vuescan, Silverfast 8, scanning and when to incorporate Photoshop.

Sascha Steinhoff

The VueScan Bible: Everything You Need to Know for Perfect Scanning

Scanning Negatives and Slides: Digitizing Your Photographic Archive

https://www.amazon.com/Sascha-Steinhoff/e/B001JOVBHW/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Mark D.Segal

Silverfast 8 book

Download Portal :: LaserSoft Imaging

• Like 2

Just reading your opening post, you are about to move into false economy.

Save your money and buy a V800, Silverfast is included in the box. The EpsonScan software is not bad either. You get a new quality scanner with adjustable focus film holders, EpsonScan and Silverfast software. It is capable of scanning all sizes of film up to 10x8", and prints up to 10x8". Both softwares are pretty fast, short scan times.

35mm scans harder than let's say 120 and larger film on a flatbed like the Epson, regardless of the model. You're better off with a dedicated 35mm film scanner regardless of what scan software you use. Flatbeds won't get you more than 2400bpi or so. So the best print you'll get is maybe 8x10" maybe a little larger. OK for internet postings. You ought to define what you want to do with the scans. That might help determine your course of action or help from us.

I shoot 120 and 35mm and have pictures of each posted on my FLickr site if you want to compare. I use an Epson V600 with Epsonscan software to scan with a lot of post processing by various programs like Lightroom and PS Elements. Good luck on whatever you determine to do.

35mm scans harder than let's say 120 and larger film on a flatbed like the Epson, regardless of the model. You're better off with a dedicated 35mm film scanner regardless of what scan software you use. Flatbeds won't get you more than 2400bpi or so. So the best print you'll get is maybe 8x10" maybe a little larger. OK for internet postings. You ought to define what you want to do with the scans. That might help determine your course of action or help from us.

I shoot 120 and 35mm and have pictures of each posted on my FLickr site if you want to compare. I use an Epson V600 with Epsonscan software to scan with a lot of post processing by various programs like Lightroom and PS Elements. Good luck on whatever you determine to do.

Thanks for the response!

Good point. As of right now I'm mostly posting to the web, tho I would like to eventually be able to print and show somewhere. As of now (and the foreseeable future) the largest I could print would be 13x19, but I would like to scan to a point where that would be sharp. I know with 35mm grain would be very visible, that's okay, I rather like that.

to even get 2400bpi I would have to be scanning at 9600? I'm confused by peoples math online when it comes to 'true resolution'

thanks again!

Just reading your opening post, you are about to move into false economy.

Save your money and buy a V800, Silverfast is included in the box. The EpsonScan software is not bad either. You get a new quality scanner with adjustable focus film holders, EpsonScan and Silverfast software. It is capable of scanning all sizes of film up to 10x8", and prints up to 10x8". Both softwares are pretty fast, short scan times.

What do you mean by 'false economy'? Are you simply referring to Silverfast's reputation?

The V800 and V850 seem to be the favorites of the flatbed world.

As for what I'd like to do, as of right now I'm just posting to the web, tho I would like to get to a point where I can print up to my printer's max (13x19) and still get good quality. I have a good camera and super sharp optics.

Good advice on the bundle. Thanks!

What do you mean by 'false economy'? Are you simply referring to Silverfast's reputation?

No, Silverfast has a reasonable reputation

But for posting pics online, it's not really necessary to buy Silverfast which is a major cost. But now you say you want to print 13x19, well that's a different matter altogether, Silverfast would be worthwhile in that case, but there's still a learning curve with it and also with Vuescan. There's usually good reports about the Canon 9000f (I take it you meant "9000" not "900"), but determine if that is the scanner you want to continue with before buying Silverfast which will be locked into your scanner, and then have to change it for any future scanner you acquire.

If other folk post pics that are sharper and have better color than your pics, they either have better equipment and/or better knowledge of the software they're using, or you are simply not post processing your pics to their standard. For a start, the scanner is only as good as the negative being scanned. If the neg is top notch, even Vuescan will produce a very good scan from it. If the neg is not so good, then the scanner can't do any better than that. It's then up to you to learn the software and how to apply it.

The cheaper Silverfast that comes with the V800, does not deliver 48 bit scans. It works 48 bit internally, but outputs 24 bit

I have the V800 and used to have a Nikon LS50. The LS 50 is very slow. The V800 scans a 3mm slide. at 3200dpi in 2 mins.

I find that the V800 does no more than 3200 dpi possibly slightly less. I use Epson scan as a standalone, batching scanning and then import all the scans into Lightroom. It is much easier to look at the thumbnails and then get a consistent result. I am doing a long term project od scanning 20 years worth od negative sand slides, so speed is important. I was using a Epson 4780, but that was also too slow. I scan at 3200, but only make 3000x200 tiffs and then smaller jpegs.

I think that the V800, with extra holders is the best solution.Some Examples

processing negatives in Lightroom

F5407C20421A49D99F683827F22A261F.jpg

Scans of a slide on on V800 and one on a Nikon LS50, which I old some 8 years ago

9863BC6475D947C1A44CFE1603B87ED6.jpg

B13A1F81A8B44175833F47272B64CE76.jpg

The V800 is pretty good.