Salgado's techniques

abhishek gupta1

<p>Just guessing really but looking at his work These are what I see :<br /> <br /> 1) great artistic vision <br /> 2) strong commitment to a nature, ecology and concervation<br /> 3) the resources and the will to visit remote places to express that vision and commitment<br /> 4) the time to wait for the right light and composition (natural daylight, as far as I can see). This single point is probably the closest to answer the question you are asking<br /> 5) ability to post-process (digitally or traditionally - either would do). Some images seem more processed than others. Once you have an image with good light and composition these can be accentuated at this stage to increase the impact of the image.<br /> <br /> But that is just a guess. Others may be able to add more informed comments.</p>

<p>I agree that the horizon is tilted, but I think it's for artistic effect.</p>

<p>As for how these are shot, you can see from shadows on the mountains that it's relatively late or early in the day, because the sun is relatively low. Doing this digitally, you'd shoot in RAW, add lots of contrast in RAW conversion, convert to B&W, adjust black levels and probably enhance clouds further with Red adjustment in the RGB curve. (Curve adjustments are just like colored filters on film cameras). I wouldn't rule out the use of composites to get the sky he wanted.</p>

<p>Weather is always a crap shoot when trying to capture landscapes. You DON'T want a cloudless sky, but you don't want to be knocked out by hail, or hit by lightning on a mountain top (a very real worry). For us that dabble at it, we pray for luck and try to get to the right places. A really dedicated pro will spend days or weeks on mountain tops, waiting for dramatic conditions. We can increase our chances by paying attention to weather forecasts, being there early and late, etc.</p>

<p>This DID NOT pop out of the camera as you see it. To get close, you'll need to learn RAW conversion and post-processing. If you've already started those, then get more aggressive with your sliders. B&W can take much more extreme adjustments than color.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>"As for how these are shot, you can see from shadows on the mountains that it's relatively late or early in the day, because the sun is relatively low."<br>

Not necessarily. Being far Noth or far South, depending on the hemisphere can give you this light if you are there in the right season.</p>