Sad News - Clarence Gass

Dear Friends:

I write to inform you that master camera repair tech, Clarence Gass has died on the 26th of November in Kansas. He had been battling cancer for about six months. I know he did work for some of the Classic Manual Forum members in the past. He was one of the last of the great old men of camera repair. The quality of his work and his fair pricing reflected his work ethic and Christian values. I had a wonderful phone call with him near the 1st of November when I learned of his diagnosis and he was in good spirits and not in any pain. I actually just found out today of his passing today from Gus Lazzari. I had planned on calling him on Christmas day.

Clarence was the most insightful and generous man I've ever known. I spent many an afternoon in his shop talking about everything from classic cameras, lenses, music and, his favorite, politics. He had an easy laugh and loved political satire. We both were guitarist and we enjoyed playing new and old praise songs. He was a regular player in his church music group. His wife Betty was never far from his elbow. Clarence was my friend.

385020120_Clarenceinhisshop.jpg.c819ada24b6f99f62c584732197d3a27.jpg 69573228_Clarencewithaproninshop.jpg.ca30b28a8c921ba4f574043711c5227b.jpg 256087675_ClarencePlayingGuitar.jpg.1dcda31ce59ecb310d5d8e4f606f3674.jpg His knowledge of classic cameras was unmatched. Clarence would fix cameras for free for students. He personally gave me more gear than I have ever purchased and had an enormous collection of cameras with parts and accessories for them all. We'll not see the likes of him again.

Lou

• Like 4

While I was aware of Clarence's great reputation as a craftsman, I was too far away to avail myself of his services. I'm sorry to hear of his passing; quite apart from from your own sense of bereavement, Lou, the users and collectors of classic cameras can ill afford to lose men of his talent. I'm so sorry that you've lost a friend, but thanks for letting us know.
  • Like 2