Running scanners in XP emulation mode.

<p>I have a Nikon Coolscan V using Nikon Scan 4 something and a a Canoscan 9950F using Silverfast SE Plus. Neither are compatible with my desktop which is Vista 64 bit. As my XP Pro laptop is getting on a bit it is likely I will get a new laptop at some stage running Windows 7. If I get 7 Business, the cheapest with XP emulationn mode, will my scanners run successfully with this?<br>

I know Vuescan is available which wold solve the Coolscan problem but I prefer to use Digtal ICE. Ed Hamrick confirmed this solution doesn't work for the 9950F (anything that involves using Scangear is not a solution - scans are visibly inferior to using Silverfast.</p>

<p>Nigel, you should go to:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx">http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx</a></p>

<p>and download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It will give you some good clues about your current software compatibility. Be sure to read all the instructions before running it.</p>

<p>Also, go to the Lasersoft site and see if there's a Windows 7 update for Silverfast SE Plus...</p>

<p>Nigel,</p>

<p>I've been using my Coolscan V with first Vista 64 and now Windows 7 (64-bit) for about a year and a half now with no difficulties whatsoever. No need for XP mode (which won't help) or the more complex method required for the 8000/9000 firewire-based scanners. The trick is simple, and the cost is a Vuescan license (if you don't already have one).</p>

<p>Install Vuescan, and allow it to install its driver before you do anything else. If you want to use Nikon Scan, download and install the Vista only version (4.0.3) - it will install fine in both Vista and Windows 7. During the install process, you'll be asked which drivers to install. <em><strong>Be sure to un-tick all of Nikon's drivers.</strong> </em> Now you can scan away with either Vuescan or Nikon Scan.</p>

<p>If you wish to use Silverfast, the current Coolscan V version also fully supports 64-bit Vista and Windows 7.</p>

<p>That's it. It's that simple.</p>

<p>Scott</p>