Rotated thumbnails

adamkis

This has never happened to me before, but some of the photos I just uploaded which are in portrait orientation appeared as landscape in the thumbnails. When I clicked to view the full picture, however, it displayed properly in portrait orientation. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Some programs like the old Bridge™ display the image as it was originally, and modify the orientation when you rotate it with an .xmp file. When you rotate the image in most photo editors, the orientation of the original is actually changed in the file. Don't know what you are using, so this may not be relevant.

This has never happened to me before, but some of the photos I just uploaded which are in portrait orientation appeared as landscape in the thumbnails. When I clicked to view the full picture, however, it displayed properly in portrait orientation. Any ideas on how to fix this?

When logging into PN, I often find it beneficial to stand on my head! :)

"You talkin' to me?"

Just uploaded two of my photos - one portrait, one landscape. Each displayed correctly in thumbnail and full view. Haven't a clue what is happening to yours. Are you doing something differently than in your past posts?

No, I'm not. I don't know if that will decrease the views or not, but at least they display properly when enlarged!

Ha! Now I've got one flipped completely upside down. When I look at the EXIF data after uploading, it says Orientation: 6x for the ones that are rotated 90 degrees to the left, but 1x for the ones that are displaying properly. For the upside-down one, it says Orientation: 3x. What does that mean? I tried manually changing the 3x to 1x before saving the photo data, but it didn't do anything.

Thanks. I realized that the photos that weren't rotated properly hadn't been edited at all. I usually edit photos at least somewhat (crop, shrink, b/w, or something), and the few that don't need editing must have all been landscape orientation in the past. I took the photos that were problematic, opened them in my editing software, saved them there, and then reuploaded them and they're fine. So something about being opened and saved in that software sorts things out. I can't explain it! But thanks for your help.