rollex patent rollfilm back

Wim, if the take-up spool will turn in only one direction, then inside out is normal. If it will got in both directions, operator error.

FWIW, the normal un-modified Adapt-A-Roll 620 does the same thing. When I'm careful I can get the exposed roll of film out of one without harming the exposures, but to be sure I usually unload in a changing bag.

Yes it only turns in one direction. I stared at the back for 10 minutes trying to figure it out again before posting here. just to prevent making a total fool of myself, hehe. Any reason for this sillyness? I mean... they could have just made it to turn the right way...

Wim, since I don't have a Rollex I can't answer your question with respect to it.

But in the AAR 620, taking up the film inside out eliminates a sharp turn at the end of the gate. I have one AAR 620 that's been modified to wind the film inside in, haven't noticed any difference in sharpness at the take-up end of the gate, between it and my others but ...

Cheers,

I have a few Rollex and Suydem backs (the Suydem is a better built post-war copy)and this never happened to me. You might practice with a spoiled roll of 120 and watch how it feeds. If all else fails (I dread looking for it) I might be able to dig out a set of instructions for the Suydem and scan them for you.

I have also had this problem with a rollex-type 6x9 back - Not sure of the exact model as I don't have it with me currently. I found no way of making the take up spool wind the correct way, while exposing the emulsion to the camera. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking at my 6x9 Rollex-Patent which I've used successfully on my 9x12 Patent Etui (KW). Never had any problems as related above.

When loading the film, did you remove the insert? The film has to be placed between the insert and the back. The opening on the insert has to be in alignment with the red window on the back and when loading the film, the yellow paper has to be visible through the insert window in order for you to be able to count the exposures.

My Rollex feeds the exposed film using the anti-curl feature and the feeding knob turns anticlockwise. Placed above the wind key, there is an arrow showing you the direction of the turn. It is possible to turn the key clockwise, however a very audible click sound will indicate that one is turning the wrong way.

I hope this helps.

I honestly can't imagine what they were thinking when they designed it. I suspect it had something to do with film flatness as Dan suggested. Fortunately somebody fixed mine so it turns both ways. If yours only turns one way I suggest unloading the film in a changing bag, though loading it onto the tank reel should be a new experience. The one camera I know of that can only use this particular rollfilm back is the patent etui. Most plate cameras can except an assortment of backs from several manufacturers.

My Ideal 250/3 came with a beautiful Rada back. It is nicer than my ancient Rollex, which winds both ways but has a crudely painted arrow. The Rollex works unambiguously, but sometimes chews film for reasons I only suspect.

These things are all picky about what fits where. My Patent Etui will take no back or film holder I own...too delicate. The Rollex will fit many things, some better than others (It came on an ICA Halloh). I have a no-name with Vario/Spezial Aplanat which won't take it.

Just gotta try and see what happens.

I did the exact same thing the first time I loaded my Rollex Rollfilm back.

Now that you have a ruined roll of film, roll it back up and examine how it runs through the holder. It will all make sense once you get to see how it's working.

This is all I can remember. I didn't use mine a whole lot and sold it about a year ago.

"inside out on the take up reel" - Glen Peterson

My Rollex Patent doesn't have a "reel", it is just a removable 120 empty spool.

I'm still wondering about "inside out & inside in." For the emulsion to be inside out when rolling on the take up spool, some of you are making mistakes when loading!

It loads like my Linhof Super Rollex, Horseman as well as my Graflexes. It is not a "straight" load like a TLR or a Folder.

Just follow what I wrote above and or Jeff Bishop's comment!

Tito, its a question of which direction the take-up spool can turn, not of improper loading.

If the spool turns clockwise, as viewed from above, it takes up inside out; that is, with the backing paper inside and the film outside. If the spool turns counterclockwise, it takes up inside in, with the film inside and the backing paper outside.

Try it with some scrap film and you'll understand better.