Rolleiflex TLR as travel camera - any tips?

joe tarrant

Hi all.

I reckon I can't be the only person in my position. I'm interested in "going medium", but

whenever I go away anywhere, I bring a 35mm SLR because I'm familiar with it and I leave

the Rolleiflex at home. I need to put my money where my mouth is, so I'm taking my

Rolleiflex to Paris on a 3-day trip. I'm taking a variety of film. It's an F3.5 Planar. I have a

lens hood and an ERC. I also have an exposure meter that has gone haywire in bright light

and no intention of buying any more meters, so I have worked out a basic table of

exposures at F8, using various such tables online. I'm planning to bracket in poor light.

I know that many of you know a lot more than I do about using this type of camera, so if

any of you have any tips on using a TLR as a travel camera in an urban environment,

please post them here. I'm not sure what such tips might cover, which is why I'm asking.

Most people seem to see rangefinders as the ultimate travel camera, but I wasn't able to

afford a Mamiya 7, which is why I have the Rollei instead. TLRographers of the world,

unite!

Thanks.

The Rolleiflex TLR IS the ultimate travel camera. I uded to take two complete systems (5 lens 35mm slr and a Medium format slr or a Horseman system) years ago and after many years of that I decided that the best pictures I ever took were from the Rollei TLR. In 2003 we went to Italy for 15 days and I took the 3.5F only. It was a good choice. Here's why.

In the past I would start with a whole system and as time went by I would thin out what I carried each day (too heavy!). After week or so I would end up with the Rollei 35 (which is in itself almost good enough if you can only take one camera). Meanwhile, I was not able to enjoy the trip for all the gear and concerns about what lens choice to make, etc.

None of that with the 3.5F I know what I have and I can work with it. The 3.5F is a light weight camera It hangs always ready to shoot (I put a collapsible lens hood on it at all times which serves as a bumper)the 75mm lens gives you an image equivalent to a portrait lens in 35. Unless the light is changing you can just set it and forget it as far as exposure. It's the best camera bar none, including a leica, for candids which you can take without the subject even realizing you are taking a picture. Did I mention quiet? It's classy and if you in a crowd you can lift the camera over your head and get the shot the folks with the slr's can't get. On travel I use the 220 film to cut down on film loading. When you get back and process the film, get a high resolution digital scan made on cd. The pictures are incredible and you can have one heck of a slice show!

Good shooting.

First of all, leave your 35mm system at home. This way you will have no choice but to use the TLR and you will find that it's actually easier than you expected.

Second, forget everything you do with your 35mm system and let the TLR to take wherever it takes you. You won't be able to do some things and you may feel limited by a single focal length, but you may also find it very liberating and the results new and refreshing.

I would buy a decent lightmeter. You will do fine with sunny f/16 rule outside, but inside things can get tricky. If you really want to get around without lightmeter, don't spend too much money on slide films. Get color negatives and B&W instead. Oh, watch the sun. TLR lenses flare easily.

Since this is fully manual camera (and with reversed finder), your ability to anticipate and predict will be a key to getting nice action shots.

You also need to know what your aperture/shutter settings are all the time (the camera will not change them itself when the light changes). I cannot tell you how many times I made this mistake.

Don't forget that Rollei shoots square format so you can frame for any W:H apsect ratio. You are not limited to square composition, you can always crop to whatever ratio you want later. I usually just frame so everything I want in picture is in frame and crop later.

Be careful when changing film. Direct sunshine will fog the first/last frame on the roll. At least turn your back to sun to provide shadow for the film when it's loaded/unloaded.

If your camera takes 220 film, you might find it less hassle to use it instead of 120 (less film changing).

If asked about the camera, remember: yes, it's the latest digital model, top lens records motion pictures while the bottom lens is optimized for stills.

Most important of all: have fun!

The TLR Rolleiflex is my favourite travel camera (I also own a 3.5 Planar). I like its limitations and how it forces you to push your creativity with a single standard lens, nothing more. Personally I prefer using 400asa film with the Rolleiflex while on travel (Tri-X or Kodak Portra), it's just more versatile and grain is not so much an issue if you plan to make up to 11X14 enlargements. Paris is such a photogenic city. Have fun and post your images!

Hey, Joe, you never have to make an excuse for picking a Rolleiflex, especially one with the 3.5 Planar -- one of the nicest lenses that you'll findon any camera.

I'd skip the everready case and buy a good neckstrap. Keep a couple of rolls in your pocket so you can get to them easily.

If you're shooting b/w and color print film, the sunny 16 rule works pretty well. For slide film, you really should buy a light meter, because you really need exposure accuracy.

I just want to underscore the accuracy of the two prior answers. Usually you can buy a

simple used meter inexpensively. If you are not used to judging the light, you'll need the

meter. (Years ago--showing my age--we (news photographers) used to all be able to

"guess" the correct exposure.

With B&W film like Tri-X, there's a two-stop latitude. If you're shooting reversal film--the

only way to get high quality digital scans over 16x20--you'll need a simple meter. I just

checked the Adorama web site in NYC. Right now they have 78 used meters in stock

including a Gossen Super Pilot Cds Meter W/case for $50 and another for $35. But the real

gem I spotted on the last page of used meters was a Weston #737 w/case in "Excellent"

condition for $30.

The Weston is a selenium cell meter and is light-activated, needing no battery. They work

forever if not dropped. Plus the cell doesn't degrade. It either works or it doesn't (and it

has a zero-adjust screw.) I just pulled a #737 out of a drawer (it's the Weston Master III

and 50 years old) and it checks perfectly with the internal meter of my brand new Leica M

-7.) Spending that much air fare to go to Paris shouldn't be wasted by not having a meter.

If you get the Weston and need a manual for it, I can send you a copy.

The 3.5 Rollei is a great one-camera choice. (If you cut off a toilet tissue roll core, spray it

with flat black paint and stick it over your focusing knob, you can get great candids of

nearby people by pointing the real lens to the side & twist the roll to focus. People think

you are shooting 90-degrees away from them.)

I used the 2.8D with a Minox 35mm GT cameras exclusively in a 4 week trip in Europe. Using the TLR makes you compose carefully, and you will also be able to get very sharp prints or slides from the beautiful Planar or Xenotar lenses. The Minox is a feather weight back-up camera.

The TLR is very useful inside dark churches for long exposure photos due to its quiet shutter and no mirror slap. Take along a light tripod and cable release. I prefer a Cullman small tripod. THis way, I took sharp photos inside old buildings (like churches and museums) with the TLR wide open.

Like others, I'd suggest taking the Rollei as your only camera.

Buy a lightmeter. The 'everready' case is anything but. So I'd

even wrap the camera in clothing in carry-on baggage and make

sure you have a good neckstrap. Keep the lenshade on and use

it for everything.

I can't stress finding a small lightmeter enough. I recently

returned from photographing a situation where I thought I' could

have "guessed" well enough, but fortunately had a light meter.

Use a nice reflective meter and go nuts. Paris is a wonderful

place to use your Rollei. Have fun!

Treat yourself to the prism finder and a pistol grip. I find these make my Rolleiflex pretty well universal. Pistol grips are very cheap (15GBP or less) and even prisms can be cheap if you don't worry about cosmetics - mine cost me 40GBP.

If I don't want to be obvious, I can drop the grip in one pocket and the prism in the other. If I find something where eyelevel viewing is a help, I can mount the grip and prism in a minute or two.

I'm sure a lot of people do well with just the direct finder but I'm not that clever!

"If you cut off a toilet tissue roll core, spray it with flat black paint and stick it over your focusing knob, you can get great candids of nearby people by pointing the real lens to the side & twist the roll to focus. People think you are shooting 90-degrees away from them."

I love it!

And I also love my Rollei 3.5E planar for travelling, and at home.

I started my life as a photographer (more than 35 years ago) with a TLR Rolleiflex.

Unfortunately this camera got stolen. In my professional photography I work thereafter

with all formats, owned almost every brand and model once. Now I have sold all. And I

own a Rolleiflex again. This is all you need, the most intelligently built camera,IMHO.

Good luck, and enjoy Paris (and keep your camera tight).

Cheers, Urs

Don't let the camera out of your sight, even for a minute. There are thieves in Paris who specialize in separating tourists from their valuables. They may even ride by on a motorcycle and grab your camera. The less you look like a tourust, the better.

I like the Mamiya C33/C22 system as the ultimate travel camera. While they are NOT light weight cameras - I hang one on an Optima strap and it is ready to shoot. Iagree that unless the light is changing you can just set it and forget it as far as exposure. It's a great camera bar none. It is VERY quiet - and with the Mamiya's interchangeable lenses I can usually always get the shot I want.

On travel I use the 220 film (rotate the back pressure plate) to cut down on film loading. My Mamiya case is now my carry-on bag!

Derek

Robbie, I totally agree about Robert Doisneau- he's my favorite photographer.

I have also recently obtained a Brassai book- some great images in there. He is another photographer who did some great work in Paris. Also check some of Lee Miller?s Paris work. She used a Rolleiflex Automat, like Robert Doisneau.

Just as an aside, it can be quite difficult to photograph people in Paris these days- the French privacy laws make this difficult as it is, but also I have experienced more adverse reactions there than in most other cities. As an example, I have encountered people hiding their faces when I was shooting a cafe facade from a 50 yard distance. I had no interest in photographing the individuals and in any case, they would have hardly registered on the film with my 50mm rangefinder lens!

Nevertheless, it is a great city for a photographer- still my favorite location. Enjoy!

As lots of others have said, spring for a meter.I have traveled extensivly in Europe with my Rollei. All you really need is a strap, a shade, a meter, and some film. To protect from theft and elements, I use a strap that is long enough to go over my shoulder and allow the camera to be swung into shooting position. You then can put a jacket or coat on, and the camera is comletely covered, yet instantly available. Keeps the rain off, keeps it from being lifted.

Another small accessory that you may find handy is a small table top tripod.There will be lots of dark interiors requiring slow shutter speeds, and these little things can come in real handy allowing you to brace against walls, church pews, and the like. You don't need a cable release, just use the self timer and you are good to go. The rollei is really a wonderful travel camera, and if I had to choose just one camera to use from now on, the rollei would be it.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I would encourage you to get a proper light meter. If you're going to go all the way to Paris, why risk losing some good/great shots because you misjudged the exposure?

If you're shooting b/w, then you probably can wing it.

get a good strap, use proper techniques, and you can handhold a Rollie to 1/30 second.

If you use ISO400 B/W film with lotsa latitude, you can use the camera in almost any outdoor scene. I also like the Fuji slide for their latitude.

Btw, the interesting thing is that, even if most Parisian dislike having their photos taken, their attitude would soften upon seeing you wielding a Rollie.

The other posters have given all the right advice. The best piece was, get a light meter. I usually prefer a spotmeter and I bring a gray card. It must use a common battery or I bring one extra. Also when I travel to some places I like to take pictures at night, so I bring a tiny tripod if I think I might do that. Today especially, you need to bring all the 120/220 film you might need, if you aren't going to a city.

I used a Rollei 3.5F Planar a couple of times and a C330 many times while traveling. Years ago I decided I don't prefer them for the purpose and usually bring a 35mm. (Once or twice I brought both!) But there were no special problems - just the bulk, the film loading, and limited capability in available light. With the Rollei, of course, one focal length, but that isn't so restrictive.

• 2 years later...