Rolleiflex 3.5F Xenotar -- Should I?

david_barts2

<p>On my recent visits to the web sites of local camera stores I notice a listing of a used Rolleiflex 3.5F Xenotar (with leather case and lens caps) for $325. It's not the sort of camera I was seriously considering purchasing (I'd really prefer something with interchangable lenses), but the price seems to be (based on eBay completed sales) a screaming deal at first glance, especially since it's been recently CLA'ed and is being sold under a 1-year warranty.</p>

<p>I mean, if it *is* a screaming deal, then who cares if I change my mind about it later -- I'll just list it on a certain auction site and turn a profit when it sells. In effect, I will have been paid to play with a fun (and optically very good) old medium format camera for a while. I'm sure I could take some very nice landscape shots with it in the meanwhile.</p>

<p>Or am I overlooking something here? Seeing is believing, of course. When I pay them a visit this weekend, I might find it's in really battered condition or something (but if so. why would they spend money CLAing it?) I'm hoping it's just fine and was dropped off for repairs by a deadbeat who never paid his bill or came back to claim his camera, so it's being sold merely to recoup their sunk repair costs.</p>

<p>Of course, I notice this after recently buying two other cameras (one brand new digital, one vintage), and promising myself "no more cameras for a while". :-)</p>

<p>Hmmmm.<br>

My experience these days is that nothing above 25% of ebay pricing is a "screaming good deal".<br>

My advice, buy it if you have always wanted one, but don't expect to profit on the resale. <br>

One additional year of the advances of digital vs film isn't going to help film camera prices any.<br>

Now, I'm still looking for a 2.8F Xenotar at a screaming good price, but they still seem to be above $1000, and some dreamers listing them for over $2K on the "auction sites".<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>Vick</p>

<p>My only suggestion would be to be sure you open the back, put the lens on bulb, trip the shutter and look through the taking lens at an even light source. You will quickly see if there are a lot of surface scratches on the lens from quick and dirty cleaning techniques.<br>

I have a 3.5F, built in 1961, that is very clean in all respects. The meter still works and is accurate. But, it took me a while to find one in that condition. I paid way more than $325 when I bought it about 15yrs ago.</p>