Hi,

I have been using a kowa setup for the last year or so, just as an

amateur. Although I dont shoot much MF and most of it is street candid

Every time I have to take out te Kowa (6MM) I think not twice but 34

times should I or not, even with only one lens its quite heavy and I

just want something ligther.

So in the not so far future I would like to buy a Rolleiflex TLR, and

started looking at the archives but I get very confused with all the

letters, types, diferent lenses and things.

So my question is: Does anyone knows some page where the models are

clearly categorized and dated?

and another one (hope not to start a fight): considering that money is

an issue, meaning I wont buy a new one but there is enough for a nice

old one(maybe 500-600$ not sure tough), which one would you recomend?

I heard the E series was quite good and that the 3.5 lenses are very

good and tend to go for less $.

this is for the not so near future so late4ish advices are welcome as

well.

Thanks

Diego K.

I can't think of a better camera for medium format candid work than one of the Fuji 645s. It's as light or lighter than the Rollie, looks like a big 'point and shoot' so it attracts less attention that a TLR, takes more pictures on a roll of film and has a great lens. Plus you don't need a seperate light meter.

Just a thought...

Sorry I didnt say why TLR, so here it goes, so further posters will reffer only to TLR.

SLR: have the experience, and I dont like talking a big tripod everywhere I go. I know that with a TLR a tripod is as usefull, but since there is no mirror flap I think Ill be more relaxed taking longer exposures, When I go without a tripod, I shot the Kowa only at 250 or higher.

Rangefinder: Dont use them frecuently, everytime I used one I ended up losing parts I watned to show. I find it that what you see Is a lot different from what you get. and in general I dont have any "feeling" with rangefinders (sorry for the expresion but, no word fits the space better), I know that Leica, and Mamiya and a lot of mithical cameras were and are rangefinders and they are very good, and the optical benefits, but Its not for me.

Viewcameras: never actually worked with a handheld one, only with monorail. but I dont think its the one for what I want.

Why Rollei TLR: ligth (more or less), Very good optics, 66, relaible, allthough there is paralax, its only in height (and seem to be compensated ok) and not on the horizontal plane as well.

With the kowa I learned to see the magic in the 66, and I would like to keep working on it. so no other formats are in my mind, for now, later who knows.

Anyway Thanks for the sugestion.

Diego K.

Diego,

I haven't seen any webpage that gives the wealth of information and photo documentation of each model like Arthur Evans "Collectors Guide To Rollei Cameras" (1986 ISBN # 0-931838-06-1). I'm not sure if its still in print, but I found mine on eBay for about $20.00. If your patient, shopping with this book can enable you to really zero-in on the Rollei TLR you want and you'll know the vintage and differences from model to model. Wish I had this book when I started buying!

That said, I don't think you need to buy a "E" or "F" 3.5 Rollei to find a sharp shooter. Any Automat starting with the "X" model (standard flash sync) will produce absolutely stunning images equipped with either the Zeiss Tessar, or Schneider Xenar. Honestly, I don't think the Planar or Xenotar lenses are much (if any) sharper, but you may opt for a newer Rollei anyway, and the finders *are* much brighter in the newer series. They are all great camera's, its just that you'll pay much more for the privilege of owning newer one. For $500-600, you should be able to pick up just about any Rollei you want, in excellent condition, save for the very latest 2.8F Aurum, Rollei Tele or Super Wide. Happy hunting!

Diego,

I have found a great deal of information on the Rollei Club website:

www.dmakos.com/square/

There are lots of very smart Rollei people who are very willing to help with your questions. It's also a very gentle WebSite. You won't be flamed for an opinion, or asking a simple question. Feel free to mention that I refered you there. Good luck. BTW, Rollei TLR are great cameras.

Warmest regards,

Jim

Diego, I agree with most of what has already been said. I suggest that you purchase an E2 or F with a Planar or Xenotar lens. That way you'll not wonder about the lens, and the hood will be removable, which makes changing viewing screens easier. The Planar in the Rollei is actually a better design than is the retro-focus Planar found in modern medium format SLR cameras. And the Xenotar is an equally great design, manufactured equally well. I have used 3.5F Rollies with both lenses and they are sharp! Rolleiflex cameras are wonderful and friendly. Buy the newest camera you can afford, and of course the camera that is in the best mechanical and optical condition. Also, a Maxwell viewing screen brightens up the world as seen in your viewfinder. Good luck.