Rollei Filters

gil garcia

Who now sells actual Rollei Bay III and Bay IV filters new? Are they still made?

I do see some used on the Bay. I am hacing a hard time finding them. Do most

Rollei users go the step up route? What about the case and lens hood? Do they

have you over the barrel here like Leica? I've given the latter many dollars

over the years, and I guess it's Rollei's turn now.

Thanks

There are still plenty of bay I, II and III filters out there, but for me the best solution was using bay to thread adapters and step-up rings with the more commonly available filter sizes such as 49mm. Dedicated Bay anything is going to get pricey and chances are you already have most of the filters you need. So now all you need is an adapter.

In my GX I have noticed that using UV-filter the light meter reading is "less" ie. requires 1/2 step more open aperture for correct exposure. To have the right measurement the process is little combersome, actually UV- or any filter should be first on the viewfinder lens to measure, then change it to the taking lens for the exposure. Any better methods?

Have patience and watch eBay, B&H and KEH. I've acquired Rolleisoft, green, red, orange and yellow filters and hoods in Bay III for my 2.8E Planar in perfect condition for very reasonable prices (all original Rollei too), and most with their original leather cases. Bay IV, I do not know.

Robert, you are right.

Here is a quote from an article I found "The meter-cells are placed behind the viewing lens and although this position isn't the most ideal place - it would have been even better if it was behind the taking lens, but a lot more difficult to construct... " from Photographical.net, 7thMay,2002. It supports my experience explained above.

<i>You're much more of a Rollei expert than me, soI hesitate to ask, but don't Rolleiflex

GX and FX models have TTL metering through the VIEWING lens, which would mean they

do not compensate for filters? </i><p>

Robert, <p>

You are right. They are behind the viewing lens. It is just the flash metering cell that is

behind the taking lens to meter off the film. Sorry for the confusion. I did the test this

morning. When putting a dark filter in front of the viewing lens the meter responds

immediately. Nothing happens when putting that filter in front of the taking lens. <p> It

boils down to using the filter factor when leaving the filter on the taking lens, or moving

the filter from one lens to the other to take advantage of the TTL-metering. Leaving the

filter on the taking lens and using the filter factor is probably the easy way. <p>

Sorry again for the confusion. Strange thing is Rollei documentation does not mention the

position of the metering cells, except for the flash metering cell. <p>Ferdi.

Today I learened of this piece of equipment: <p>

<a href="http://www.fotopartner.de/cgi-bin/fotopartner?HTML=show/

standard.htm&VS_TAB_NAME=W_ROL_TLR_ZUB&VS_PARENT_ID=11307762273832&VS_INDEX

=11502110498423&VS_PROD_POS=17&ID=MWSE93aQIaC5C59K.0.1172582940"

target="_blank">Filter Adaptor BIII - E46</a>

<p>

It is ingenious as well as expensive: EUR 359.<p>Ferdi.