Robert Bresson and Henri Cartier-Bresson

Troll

<p>A quote from Robert:</p>

<p><em>"My movie is born first in my head, dies on paper; is resuscitated by the living persons and real objects I use, which are killed on film but, placed in a certain order and projected on to a screen, come to life again like flowers in water."</em></p>

<p>And from Henri:</p>

<p><em>"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."</em></p>

<p>Different as night and day, the former embracing and the latter rejecting contrivance due, likely only in part, to their working in different mediums.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Bill,</p>

<p>Given that the hyphenated name came about in the mid-1800s, I'd guess that any kinship was distant if any.</p>

<p>How the hyphen happened has my brain scrambled this morning. I'll quote Peter Galassi:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"In the custom of the day, Claude's [HCB's grandfather] children were put out to nurse, 30 miles from Paris at the farm of Claude-Pasquier Cartier, who supplied hay for Claude's horses. The farmer's son in turn became an apprentice at the Bresson factory and, on the cusp of the revolution in 1848, the families effectively merged when two of Bresson daughters married two of the Cartier sons."</p>

<p>["Eugénie Bresson, the eldest daughter, married Claude-Marie Cartier in 1847, but died in childbirth within the year. In 1849, Claude-Marie married Lucie, the second-eldest of the Bresson daughters. The following year, his youngest brother, Pierre-Fortuné Cartier married the third-eldest daughter, Caroline. Henri Cartier-Bresson belongs to the branch of the family that descended from Claude-Marie and Lucie."]</p>

</blockquote>