Ricoh K mount lens compatibility?

mark_stephan2

<p>I've got a couple of Ricoh Rikenon lenses, a 50 f/2 and 28 f/2.8 that I'd like to use with a Pentax manual focus body but before ordering a body from KEH I'd like to know if they are fully compatible? From what I've read online there are some differences but I'm unsure about function and compatibility. </p>

<p>The incompatability with Ricoh lenses is when they are put on an autofocus Pentax body. The "Ricoh pin" (which is their version of the contact that indicates that the aperture ring is on "A") will get stuck in the autofocus screw drive. But that should not be an issue with a manual focus body.</p>

<p>For manual focus lenses/bodies there shouldn't be any serious compatibility problems but be aware that you won't get shutter-priority or full-program AE on bodies that support it like Super Program, Program Plus, P3N, etc. -- but can still use aperture-priority or manual modes.</p>

<p>This is where the K-mount diverged; when Pentax and Ricoh started adding features for more electronic automation (program AE, etc.) they did so in a different, incompatible manner (the 'A' position on Pentax-A and the 'P' position on similar late Ricoh lenses had similar purpose but different implementation). Then when Pentax added the autofocus screwdrive for their autofocus cameras in the late 1980's the AF coupler was located near a pin used for Ricoh's 'P' features.</p>

• 1 year later...