Ricoh GR vs Ricoh GR II

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by jon_kobeck|1, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I was thinking about getting a Ricoh GR digital. I had one a few years ago and loved it, especially the fact that its pocketable. My Fuji X100 is great, but it doesn't get much use because its a pain to carry sometimes. Looking at Amazon I see the GR II is only $550 and the older GR is almost $1000
    Why is the older model selling for more? Am I missing something?

2. Norman

Norman Norman T Naffington

Supply & Demand, maybe? The original isnโ€™t sold by Amazon but by a dealer who might be aware of shortages.

I can think of no technical reasons why the original should be more expensive than the Mk II

3. The GR II was a minor upgrade to the GR; there's no technical reason for the older model to be more expensive. So I go with Norman's suggestion of "supply and demand".

4. There was a special edition of the older model which had a green covering instead of black which was several hundred dollars more. I hate black cameras and have been hoping to find a bargain on the green model some day. I should never have sold my olive green Zeiss Werra. (Tessar, Compur)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  5. Norman

The GR Mk 1 for sale on Amazon, priced at $949, is black and not the special edition green one.

6. I wonder if Daido Moriyama is still using one.

7. So Im confused. I see there is a GR IV and GR III ? I thought the GR II is the latest model. Which is the newest model?

8. Norman

The APS-C sensor models are called Ricoh GR I and Ricoh GR II. The small sensor models are called Ricoh GR Digital I, II, III & IV.

If you want the latest model with the larger sensor get the Ricoh GR II.

jon_kobeck|1 likes this.
  9. I have a couple of GXRs and all of the modules - they are quite impressive, and small in several configurations, capable in all. They can be found inexpensively if you shop - the last camera and module came to just over $100 delivered - minty.