Retrieving photos from Demo Mode

mike_mcgrath3

<p>I inadvertently shot with out putting a CF card in my camera. I was able to review the images in "Demo Mode" Unable to find these images when I plugged camera into computer.<br /><br />I did not even know that a Demo View was? Is there a separate HD or storage unit in the camera?<br /><br />How can I retireve those images??<br>

<br />I shot with a Nikon D 200</p>

<p>I looked all over and could not find any info about demo mode??</p>

<p>I am not sure exactly which camera mode we are talking about here, but on modern Nikon DSLRs, in <strong>Custom Setting group F</strong>, there is an option called <strong>No Memory Card?</strong> You can set that to lock, and the camera wouldn't fire if there is no memory card. If you set that to Enable Release, you are in the Demo Mode.</p>

<p>This problem happened to one of my best friends. She has a D7000 and was capturing her daughter's summer camp activity. Somehow she got into the Demo Mode and took a bunch of nice pictures. The rest is history.</p>

<p>I'm guessing that firing the shutter with no memory card is filling up the buffer.<br>

What happens if you put a memory card into the camera AFTERWARDS? It seems vaguely possible that the camera will find it's able to save the buffered shots, and will put them on the card ?</p>

<p>[[What happens if you put a memory card into the camera AFTERWARDS? It seems vaguely possible that the camera will find it's able to save the buffered shots, and will put them on the card ?]]</p>

<p>It is not even vaguely possible. The buffer is not some magical space run by elves who hide the bytes away in the corners of their office inside the camera. The images are gone once you stop reviewing them. Gone forever. </p>

<p>I am not so sure they would be gone forever. In the normal course of events sure but I do wonder if something like image recovery software could not be run on the buffer and images recovered. It might be a little far fetched but not out of the realm of possibility. I would bet that the FBI and such have looked into the problem.</p>

<p>[[i am not so sure they would be gone forever. In the normal course of events sure but I do wonder if something like image recovery software could not be run on the buffer and images recovered.]]</p>

<p>The buffer is not solid-state memory. It's volatile DRAM. It does not "remember" anything because nothing is actually written to it (in the same manner as solid-state memory). The information is just stored temporarily, just like RAM in your PC. You cannot recover information from it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>This is probably a long shot - but since the original poster said he could see the images (plural) in review mode, could he grab them via the video output using a capture device and scroll through them? Granted, the quality would be pretty awful, but technically better than nothing... ?? Not sure if the D200's output is active in demo mode (never tried it on mine before upgrading), but thought I'd throw it out there...</p>

<p>First thing I do with a new Nikon is change the "No Memory Card?" setting as Shun described above.</p>

<p>Nikon probably figures the demo mode should be the default so that customers can try out the camera in retail stores straight out of the box without store staff needing to know what to do.</p>

<p>I recently played with a Canon DSLR. It's demo mode puts a "No Memory Card" message in the middle of every photo when played back.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Somehow she got into the Demo Mode and took a bunch of nice pictures.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>She got into demo mode because she forgot to put a card in the camera.</p>