Request Critique / Rate Recent

meddler

It occured to me that the number of requests for critique might

outnumber the number of ratings in the rate recent queue. I know

that to my shame I have on more than one occasion requested

critiques without rating other people's work.

I wonder if it might be useful to limits people's RFCs according to

the number of ratings they have given. Given that most of us would

like to have at least 10 ratings for each of our photos, it would

only be fair if we had a 10/1 ratio of Ratings to RFCs

If that were the case I would need to do another 50 or so ratings

before I could RFC again!

Of course practically it might be better to have a lower ratio

especially as there are people who rate a lot and RFC less.

With people rating more frequently it might even encourage people to

comment more frequently as I tend to leave comments where I think

the rating requires explanation.

Does that sound like a daft idea? Mind you know photo.net its

probably been done before :)

NO! I many times comment without rating. Why should I be required to rate? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but feedback is feedback regardless.

Also, I do not rate if someone has given me a 7 recently and if I think their work merits a 7, but I cannot rate them with a 7.

The bigger problem is people rating without commenting. That is a lost opportunity. Someone has reviewed a photo, considered it enough to rate, but not given the photographer a little more insight that could help the photographer's learning curve. People should be encouraged to comment more, which has been discussed in these pages many times before.

But to limit postings based on the number of RATINGS someone has given -- NO!

Not really practical, be it just because Ben and others do not wish to rate photos. But... How about more or less the sameidea, but involving comments...? Meaning: One can only upload a photo to the critique forum if he has COMMENTED on 3 photos posted for critique ?

Oh, and before someone points it out, I know that there are also people who do not like to comment, but precisely, that would be the point: they would then need to. It's not a big thing to ask, if you want to get comments, that you also give some comments.

PS: Perhaps there could be an exception for paying members. They could post without commenting. But I think, the least non-paying members can do for the site is to contribute with critiques.

PS2: such a measure would also prevent non-paying members to log on just to hit-and-run with ratings and no comments.

PS3 ! Yes, I know... "!" is also a comment, and not a very constructive one, but it's still better than nothing, and too many comments of that sort would tend to make you a good suspect for abuse.

Dear other photo.net users, <BR><BR>

I agree that it's nice to comment where possible but the way the "rate recent" bit of the site is organised it's all too easy to skip through many photos rating each without leaving a detailed explanation for the rating. <BR><BR>

I've recently received an insulting message on my portfolio just because I rated a certain person's photo 3/3 without leaving a comment. I've received that rating myself without comments and didn't think it was a bad thing - people are entitled to their opinions and may not have time or inclination to explain themselves. I am now concerned about the amount of bad feeling that the rating system can generate in some people and the way that this negativity can sour people's experience of photo.net.<BR><BR>Best wishes to all, <BR><BR>

Hugo

Lots of interesting viewpoints there. I would definately disagree to enforcing comments mainly because you would get non-comments if you know what I mean. Why clutter up the system with rubbish comments.

I can't imagine people rating harshly for the hell of it, but some people seem to do that now. But I would expect the reasonable ratings to outnumber the daft ones