Reproduction Release forms

I was an idiot and agreed to shoot a very informal wedding for some "friends." Needless to say I got burned on the experience. I agreed to

do everything for cost (i know, very stupid), and did not have them sign any release forms or reproduction release forms. So when I got

their photos uploaded to my online gallery for viewing, so they could decide which images they wanted to order, they just stole the images

off my website and didn't bother to pay me for what I had already done.

So here is my question. I have model release forms, but I do not have any forms that keep people from reproducing my images without

my permission. (i normally only do commercial and fine art photography. i'm just now getting into portrait work) Does anyone out there

have their clients sign anything stating that they will not reproduce photos without the photographers permission? And if so, how is it

worded or where did you get it.

Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated. And obviously I will not be so stupid as to work for "free" for friends ever again.

"Does anyone out there have their clients sign anything stating that they will not reproduce photos without the photographers permission?"

You seem to be beating yourself up rather hard. Its just a lesson learned, that's all. Its not like you sent 20 grand to some retired banker in Nigeria who is going to pay you 250,000.00. for conducting some transation.

Its well and good to have a clause in the contract where the client agrees not to reproduce ect. but unless the contract also spells out some actual consequence (liquidated damges), its hard to seek actual losses except under copyright laws and all its hurdles. Even if you put it in, potential clients don't like to sign things that cause penalties for things and more so for those who see self made repros as "normal". Catlin has a more simple protection as to website viewing. As to prints, consider charging your fee to include delivery of your edited digitial files and wash your hands of the afterwork and responsibility. Its 2008 and new business models are here for a reason.

Yes, they may get prints made cheaply and it could make you look bad but that issue seems overblown.

Hey Bree,

You learned something. Don't beat yourself up about it any longer, release it. I learned a while ago, to not do "favors" for friends or family unless I have a contract/release forms.Everyone signs one, even my mom! I have some release forms I can give you if you want. Just shoot me an email on here or use the contact form on my site: http://saranelsonphotography.com

:) Sara

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

<p>While I can appreciate the need for these forms, please don't contact me looking for them. I posted the original answer to the original question over a year ago and I still get requests. I've changed my forms to the ones that are furnished by the PPA, they have them there.<br>

<br /> Thanks for understanding.<br>

<br /> Sara</p>