Replacemnt for Neopan?

<p>A damn shame Neopan is going. I've been using it for the last seven years on a photo project shooting bands at soundcheck. I love Tri-X, but found it can be a little chalk and charcoal - Neopan at 6400, processed in a lab that knows what it's doing, is a real treat.</p>

<p>I suppose I'll have to find a replacement. Ilford HP5?</p>

<p>I'd like the project to have as unifrom a feel as possible.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>S</p>

<p>Ilford Delta 100. Or TMY2 for a little closer speed.</p>

<p>You can't compare a TGrained film like Acros to an older 400 speed category film like Tri-X or HP5. The grain will be very large. I would never shoot anything at that high an ISO unless I was just not ever interested in shadow detail but I don't know what you are shooting.</p>

<p>Try the new Tmax 400. According to a thread now running in Rangefinder forum, it has a similar mix of tabular and cubic crystals, though other things will be different of course. I will be using it as well as the 100, experimenting with developers, now that Fuji have put me off their negative films with their contemporary 'communication problems'.</p>

<p>There was an excellent thread on here started by a fella called 'Mauro' or 'Marco', last name began with 'F', I cannot find it right now. IIRC, he was using Tmax400 in Xtol and getting nice results and there's a good discussion alongside.</p>

<p>The technical differences between 'traditional' and 'modern' crystal technology may not not register that much, at least before the new Tmax 400 came along, until you get to very large prints. Aesthetic differences are another matter and using 120 upwards might make you want to go down the HP5 road now. See this:<br>

<br /> <a href="http://www.apug.org/forums/forum232/104040-geoffrey-crawley-article-second-two-about-400-speed-films-october-2000-a.html">Geoffrey Crawley on BW 400 films, BJP 2000</a></p>

• 4 weeks later...