Hello,

I've purchased a weather balloon and want to start taking aerial

pictures of the desert. All the articles that I find on the internet

highlight film cameras with remote triggers. Kinda inconvenient and

expensive.

I'm thinking in this digital age of small cameras and 1 GB

datacards that there has to be a better technique. An interval timer

on a digital camera seems like the perfect solution. Have it take a

picture ever 30 seconds or so until it fills the card.

Only problem is, I can't find a small digital camera that sports a

interval timer. Do they exist? Can you recommend one?

Thanks --- JDR

Hey Stephen,

I appreciate the idea. Thank You. I have seen many different mechanical accuators described on the internet. I prefer something that is built into the camera. For reliability and weight savings.

I've enclosed a doodle that illustrates, I think, what you had in mind?

--- JDR<div>00EUsC-26947484.jpg.7a39c3de623edffaf36af9d39b319b3c.jpg</div>

JD, per your drawing, you would be better off if your cam drove a spring loaded piston. this is the way grain used to be broken up. the cam would push up a heave block, then when the cam moves out of the way the block would drop. there are cheap clock units, they go in picutures and cermic things. many of which have a second hand that could be use for an electrical contact to drive a solionad. more brainstorms, perhaps an idea will develop for you.

Your best bet is to look at KAP sites (kite aerial photography) for advice. I'm not sure that film cameras and triggers are such a bad idea - you can buy a suitable camera for a price that doesn't matter if you get a flyaway or a crash. Film cameras are also chosen because they are typically much lighter than a digicam weighed down with its batteries etc. You will almost certainly need a Picavet suspension for your camera and probably radio control of its orientation. I assume you intend to fly your balloon tethered - an untethered weather balloon is designed to reach great heights and may only come down hundreds if not thousands of miles away - not much good if you want to stand a good chance of retrieving the images. You can construct a very simple and cheap intervalometer with a 555 timer circuit that could be powered by button cells that weigh little. Electronic triggering is likely to be much more reliable than some mechanical device and add less to the payload. Some cameras can be triggered using IR remote capability, while others make invasive surgery to get to the shutter release contacts unnecessary because they have wired remote ports.

Lots of good ideas. I appreciate it.

I suspect by the lack of response though, manufacturers are no longer putting intervel timers or, I think, AKA intervalometers on their compact cameras anymore. I sure didn't find one either.

Thanks again!

<< manufacturers are no longer putting intervel timers or, I think, AKA intervalometers on their compact cameras anymore >>

If I remember correctly, a number of the Canon G-series cameras have an intervalometer option. You could probably pick up a G2 or G3 for a pretty decent price

JD:

This is not what you are looking for but maybe you can make it work for you somehow.

See:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1884&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C105%2C121%2C197&KickerID=1140&KICKER

It's 35mm film based & also motion/heat sensor but does have an interval timer as a part of it. At 69. USD it might be worth trying to see if you can hijack some parts perhaps.

Otherwise it would be intereseting to see what it might shoot as is during say a lightning storm or heavy cloud activity.

Good Luck

Mr. Atkins,

Good call. Canon lists the function as "timelapse"; that's why I couldn't find it on my searches. Looks good. A touch heavy at 410g, but it is a digital and it is inexpensive.

Thank You.

Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays!

Hello Mark U,

That is a great idea. A 555 integrated circuit timer is a great. Lightweight, simple and low power comsumption. It could be used to activate an IR led or perhaps used to complete the circuit with a SCR or opto-isolator.

Great ideas.

To everyone else, thanks for the links. I didn't realize so many people were up in the air with their gadgets taking pictures. The links will probably help me from re-inventing the wheel!

Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays

Over the summer I was (unfortunately) bumbling around the local Wal-Mart for some reason and grazed the toy-model isle. They had for sale a kit rocket (Estes engine) with a small film camera that shot 110 (!) film. I couldn't recall too many specifics unfortunately. I try to block out past Wal-Mart experiences and memories if possible.<P>

But Google came to the rescue in case you're interested. <a href="http://www.oakridgehobbies.com/rockets/estes_rockets_starter_sets.html">Estes sells its "Snapshot" rocket kit</a> for a reasonable $33.99! Everything you need, rocket, camera, the works... (Scroll to bottom of page btw) Of course you'll need to develop the film. They claim altitudes of 500 feet can be reached.<P>

<a href="http://astrocam.aea6.k12.ia.us/">This dude</a> talks about using an "Estes Astrocam" rocket which may or may not still be made but it looks similar. But he made a few <a href="http://astrocam.aea6.k12.ia.us/AstrocamModifications.html">modifications.</a> He says "Other Estes rockets that will carry an Astrocam camera are Code Red, Tidal Wave, Gold Strike, and the Maniac." but then qualifies that by saying: "Use this information at your own risk." (Estes seems pretty emphatic about not using any other - i.e. more powerful - engines that they may make but hey, no pain no gain, right?) <P>

Unfortunately every photograph I've seen taken with these things seems very soft to me, and this guy seems a bit closer to <a href="http://astrocam.aea6.k12.ia.us/Astrocamphotos.html">Robert Goddard than Ansel Adams</a>. But I suspect the concept could be improved upon since he did most of these in '97 and '98.<P>

I also suspect that using modern high-speed film would help sharpness quite a bit. Small digital cameras will likely get very noisy if their ISO creeps past 400. Anyhoo, just thought I'd pass it along!

<< I'm not sure where you are located. Not many people realize that in the U.S. there FAA regulations for kite flying above 500 feet. I think the KAP website has some more information about this. >>

If you read the website that I reference you'll see that the government in general has no real clue about what can go how high. I find your 500 foot figure very suspect.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Aerial photography from a helium balloon or mast with fully r/c digital camera viewable from the ground.

<a href="www.aerialphotographyforyou.co.uk" title="Aerial Photography" target="_blank">Aerial Photography from a helium balloon or mast</a>