Recommendations for a quality loupe for 6X6?

mediumformat

Another vote for the Rodenstock 6x.

I went shopping for the best loupe I could find recently, and this was it, by a long shot.

I compared it to Schneider, Peak, Mamiya, etc and it was easily the sharpest, best corrected, and most comfortable for my eyes.

Price was about $200, about the same as the best Schneiders.

Like John M, I use the Pentax loupe. Excellent quality, much less expensive and well made. I have used a largish 50mm camera lens, wide open, from time-to-time and gotten by. Sometimes I'll use a smaller, hi-power ocular to look at small portions of a big neg, but usually the Pentax loupe is adequate. If my eyes are fuzzy, I don't use a loupe at all - shot glasses work better! :)

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to compare approx 10 different loupes for medium format at Ken Hanson in NY. He had virtually everything you mentioned above. Plus the one that my eyes found clearly the best in image brilliance (contrast and color saturation) and detail sharpness: The Zeiss medium format loupe. It covers 6 x 7! Surprisingly nobody seems to be aware of this loupe. So, if you happen to be in New York, spend 20 minutes at Ken Hanson's and see what can be had in a medium format loupe today!

Kornelius, Ahhh yes, the "Z" word! 6x7cm is a favorite of mine and I was aware of the 6x7 Zeiss loupe. Grand optics, indeed! I encountered a Zeiss flourite refractor at a star party, a couple years ago. It really was impressively engineered! Around here, Zeiss optics are rare, but a thrill when one gets to use them! Back to loupes . . . Edmund Scientific optics catalog has some neat alternatives and enough options to build your own, if you wish.

• 18 years later...

One thing to consider is how you will use it. I have a Schneider Kreuznach Magnifier Lupe 6x6 (08-39816) . It has both a clear and solid attachment at the bottom. The solid attachment is good for looking at negatives on a light box. Whereas the clear is good for looking at prints on a table where you need light to come in from the side. Mine is for 6x6 negatives. I wish I had one for 6x7 because that's what I shoot. Anyway, here's a picture of the unit.

Schneider Kreuznach 6x6 lupe - Google Search:

• 3 weeks later...

I have an old Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lens I use for a general purpose loupe. When looking at MF sldies and negs, usiing this as a loupe, I just move it around a bit to catch the corners. Reversed, it provides a bit more magnification. A 35mm lens reversed actually provides quite a bit of mangnification.

Using the normal lens that came with your medium format camera may or may not work. It depends on whether your lens has a shutter inside. My Bronica has an electronic shutter, which stays closed, so shutters like mine won't do you any good.