Recipe for making an emulsion for a photographic plate

habib_b

<p>Hello, I've been wanting to experiment a little bit with dry photographic plates, I have looked online for a number of photo emulsion recipies and I found one that just required gelatin, silver nitrate, and citric acid (used as an antifogging agent) He also metioned to use a hardner like Chrome Alume to make the emulsion stick to the plate. Does this sound right? Would someone mind contributing a recipe? Thank you very much.</p>

<p>hi there,<br>

Thanks for the link, I had a little trouble understanding the halide part and the silver chloride part and their functions in the Emulsion, are they absolutely necessary to have in your emulsion? I just want to stick with the basics until I get the hang of it and then venture on... Is the silver nitrate enough to get an image? Or do I need to add the halide and silver chlroide? What exactly are their functions?</p>

<p>If you look at this<a href="http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Emulsion/emulsion.html"> link</a> you will see the materials required as being: gelatin, potassium bromide, potassium iodide, and silver nitrate. The potassium bromide and potassium iodide are the "halide" required for the emulsion. You need a silver halide crystals for the emulsion. The silver nitrate reacts with the bromide or iodide to precipitate silver halide crystals - the part of the emulsion that is sensitive to light. So, the answer is "Yes" you need the halide part.</p>

<p >Also its very important to mix your emulsion and dry your plates in the dust free environment. Some kind of humidity needed for a good results. I dried Dicromated holographic plates under an special home made aquarium to avoid dust under the drying process. The dust kill the joy. :-)</p>

<p >Its good if the glass edges are round have some radius on it and not using a plate coming right out of the cut from the diamond cutter</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Yes I'm looking for the "oldest" look possible so Liquid Liquid light although it would make everything easier, is not what I need at this point. Thank you very much for all of your suggestions, if anyone else has anything to add please do I could use all the help I could get!</p>