Recent issues with site performance

hkbmac

Is there an eta when things will be worked out with the unified

forum? As a user, the current way is really frustrating. I

understand that you are working on it, and there is supposed to be

some server upgrades due to the subscription drive. Any idea when

it will be operational?

Because of the extraordinary effort during the subscription drive at the turn of the year, especially from Sandy, we have been able to purchase a new database server, and the required Oracle and other software for it. It is a Dell Power Edge 6650 with a PowerVault 220S

SCSI Storage Array. It will be running Oracle 9iR2 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.

It arrived last Friday, and right now it is in my office being configured. We were hoping to have it installed in the data center and operational by the first week of February. However, we have had a couple of hardware issues, first with the memory and then with the RAID controller card, and we still don't have the hardware at 100%. We don't want to put the system in the rack and cut the site over to it until these are issues are completely resolved.

So I think we have slipped about one week. With a bit of luck, the new hardware will be installed in the data center on Monday and after a few more days of software installation and testing, we could go live with the new system during the second week of February.

Incidentally, the Unified View is mostly available. The software disables it only when the site gets too busy -- when the database is running more than 65 active queries. That point is usually reached when there are several hundred people simultaneously accessing the site. In this situation, the database is heading towards its tipping point (which generally occurs around 100 active queries), and not doing some of the more expensive queries, such as a Unified View, gives it the opportunity to settle down.

Brian, that is great news, and thanks for the update. I guess I am just logging on during peak times. I would say that easily 80% of the time I try to see the unified view, I get the stop message. Good luck with the new hardware.

Brian