Re: Monitor Profile with Nikon Scan

<p>

<p>I am using a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED scanner and running NikonScan ver. 4.0.3, however I believe the following applies to all Nikon scanners and all versions of NikonScan software.<br>

In setting the Preferences\Color Management options there is a tab for Monitor. Here one has the option of selecting "factory default monitor profile" or "custom monitor profile". Since I am using a Pantone-Huey device to calibrate my monitor and generate a monitor profile, it seems logical to select this custom monitor profile. However the operating system already associates this profile with my monitor on boot-up and it is in effect for whatever software may be running. My concern is that the NikonScan software may attempt to apply this profile a second time, thus leading to incorrect color rendering. Can some kind knowledgable person comment.</p>

</p>

<p>I think you do want to select the Huey profile in Nikonscan. Does the preview match what the scan looks like in Photoshop? As long as the answer is yes it's working right. A monitor profile should never affect the actual file but just what it looks like in a program like Nikonscan, so it doesn't really matter anyway.</p>

<p>I don't worry about it too much because I don't do any editing in NikonScan. NikonScan associates AdobeRGB with the file at my request and when I edit it in Photoshop it all looks reasonable (but I'm dealing with 50 year old slides where accurate colour is a relative term).</p>