RB67 pro sd WL Finder or chimney?

mark45831

Finally got me a RB67 Pro SD but I need a WL finder, The last RB I had I always just used the WL Finder, But I have see these chimney stack and was wondering if its easier to focus with, now that I need glasses to focus with SLR's would these help or just stick with the WL? I dont really care if the meter works in it as I always use a hand meter.
  • Like 1

I had a non-metered chimney finder for a long-departed Bronica S and liked it, especially for outdoors or elsewhere whenever stray overhead light could pour in. I find the WLF with the mag flipped up works just fine for bespectacled me on my Pro S. I just cup my hand between forehead and the top of the finder and find that works well. Besides, Mamiya chimney finders in decent shape aren't thick on the ground.

I have a "chimney" finder for my Hasselblad, as well as a 45 deg prism and the original waist level finder.

I always used the WLF finder with the flip-up magnifier at chin level rather than at the waist. The magnifier makes focusing much more precise, but you can't see the entire frame in one glance, and it tends to scratch your glasses. In order to use it without glasses, you have to replace the lens with the appropriate diopter. It has the highest magnification (5x) and the smallest footprint of the alternatives.

The chimney finder has a focusing eyepiece of about 4.5x power, and gives a clear view of the entire screen. It is perfect for low level shots and on a copy stand. Although relatively lightweight, it is large and not particularly good for routine photography. It has a rubber eyecup and doesn't scratch my glasses, but it's better to use it without glasses.

My favorite is the 45 deg prism. The camera can be used nearly at eye level, and the angle makes it easy to hold the camera firmly without a grip. Depending on the model, the magnification is between 2.5x and 3x, but the entire screen is clear and sharp. Focusing is a breeze. It weighs almost as much as the camera body.

I use an eye level finder that has an accessory that magnifies the center of the view. It's articulating so you can turn it 90 degrees to flip it out of the view and just look through the eye level finder. I've been using this setup for years. I don;t like waist levels type since the view is backwards left to right and I find that annoying for me.

However, I also have the regular waist level finder and a chimney finder. I just tried looking through the chimney and it's really very good. It magnifies the image making focusing easier. But the regular waist level also has a flip up magnifier built in. The chimney has a rubber eye piece that you can popup. I wear eyeglasses so in that condition a small amount of the corners cannot been seen, But not a lot that would probably bother you. With the rubber piece lowered, I can see 100% of the screen with my glasses on. Both have no diopter adjustment to use them without glasses The chimney type blocks ambient sunlight from coming in better. But when you pop up the magnifier on the standard waist level, the sunlight doesn't seem to bother either. Both magnifiers seem about equal in magnification. The waist level is more natural in that you can keep it lower down your stomach and see the view. Of course, once you pop up the magnifier you have to bring it to your eye like the chimney type. The Chimney has to always be at your eye to see. Finally, the waist level folds up so it takes a lot less space in your camera bag than does the chimney type.

SInce I normally use the eye level viewfinder, and rarely use either the waist level or chimney type, I won't make a recommendation. Hopefully my comments will help you regardless.

Mamiya TLR shooter here, absolutely loving that chimney finder. The WLF came in 2 versions one with a loupe in the air and an improved one covering everything around it. Still I felt benefitting a lot fom the flip in additional magnification showing just the center spot of the ground glass magnifier in the chimney, when it came to nailing critical focus. i used it frequently. YMMV, your corrected eyes might be better than mine but depending on what you are shooting that feature makes chimneys nice to have. Without (using /needing / appreciating) extra magnification I'd consider the late WLF equal. Biggest question might be how to pack your camera with chimney so the best answer could be "get both". If space is no issue: Chimney.

Finally got me a RB67 Pro SD but I need a WL finder, The last RB I had I always just used the WL Finder, But I have see these chimney stack and was wondering if its easier to focus with, now that I need glasses to focus with SLR's would these help or just stick with the WL? I dont really care if the meter works in it as I always use a hand meter.

a chimney finder is nice to have for maybe be needed some day,

as mentioned above look for a WLF second generation, the improved design prevents the strong reflections of your face on the screen

a chimney finder is nice to have for maybe be needed some day,

as mentioned above look for a WLF second generation, the improved design prevents the strong reflections of your face on the screen

I was a little surprised how much a WLF was going for, but I was able to get a decent offer/accept on a pretty clean one. I had a RB years ago but was stolen and I had a WLF on that, so at least there I know what I am getting, going to keep a eye out for a Chimney/prism that needs some cleaning for a cheaper price.