Raw & jpeg settings

<p>JPG settings effect JPGs and not RAW files. This can be particularly useful when the final image will be B&W. By using a B&W JPG setting you get a better idea as to how the image will look in B&W and the RAW file can be very important for doing the B&W conversion. The color channel information makes it possible to process the file as if a color filter was used at the time image capture. For instance, primarily using the red channel information is the same a having used a red filter when taking the picture. Great for the AA landscape look.</p>

<p>Thank you so much Jos and Bruce! We're shooting a friend's wedding Sat 16th and I want to get some candids in B&W. I don't use PS myself, so one of my colleagues will be doing the conversions. He pleaded with me to shoot colour, but I said shooting B&W won't affect the raws "I think". Glad that's cleared up! I guess LR5 and Silver Efex Pro 2 are added to the wanted list lol. Hey, Santa!</p>

<p>Mark, if you decide to try LR5 and Silver Efex Pro, I'll suggest avoiding the mistake I made: Don't try Silver Efex Pro until you're thoroughly familiar with Lightroom, and give yourself plenty of time to study some video or illustrated tutorials for Silver Efex. Several months ago I activated the trial version for the entire Nik suite and didn't give myself enough time to study them alongside some tutorials. So I came away less than impressed. But Jeff and several other folks I know of are very satisfied with Nik so I knew I was missing something. Only recently did I view a couple of tutorials for Silver Efex Pro and realized I missed out on some of the capabilities.</p>

<p>However, I'm still very contented with Lightroom's monochrome conversions and often prefer it to the in-camera b&w modes.</p>

<p>Hey thanks, Lex...sage advice. I've just been "candids guy" at the wedding of one of our models and decided to shoot many in b&w. I dunno, that kind of photojournalist approach just seemed to call for the mono treatment. Either that or I've been looking at W. Eugene Smith too much! The out of the camera shots aren't too bad but you just KNOW with a little tweaking that can be so much better! I'll take your advice and run with it!</p>

The raw file is not affected at all by the film mode. But the DR mode can cause under exposure. When shooting raw,

leave it in DR100.

Aside from DR and exposure variables, none of the settings have an effect on the raw file, so you can set everything else

however you want in raw+jpg. I used to shoot that way a lot until Aperture got good enough at Fuji raw processing that I

was keeping the raw and tossing the jpg 99% of the time.