Raw images in IPhoto

<p>I use both A Nikon D40 and a D90. Images from both have been up-loaded into IPhoto. Most of these files are JPEGS, but some are NEF (raw). I use Photoshop Elements to make alterations before printing. The JPEGS pose no problem. JPEG files from either camera will transfer easily. The D40 raw files go first through Camera Raw 5.5, an Elements plug-in, then on to a full edit in Elements. . The problem is the Raw files from the D90! I am unable to do anything with them. They seem to just permanently reside in IPhoto and cannot be opened or transferred once there. There must be some sort of incompatibility with the D90 files? Any ideas? I do have Nikon Transfer and if new raw images are uploaded this way there is no problem. It's the existing IPhoto files I would like to access. Thanks</p>

<p>The version of Photoshop Elements I use on my Mac is too old to read D90 files, yours might be the same. I convert them to DNG and can then open them in PSE, I have tested this as I can save DNGs into iPhoto and successfully pass them through to and open them in PSE. You could do this - convert your files to DNG before putting them into iPhoto, you could set iPhoto to not pass the raw file, or you could upgrade your PS Elements to a newer version</p>

<p>I believe that Apple decodes raw files at the OS level so I’m not sure you need the latest version of Aperture or iPhoto to do this but you might need the latest version of the raw processing engine software that occasionally updates via System Updates. <br /> See: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1072 and http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3825<br /> The D90 IS supported under 10.6.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Charles, Thanks for pointing out the big mistake in my last post. I should have stated that I was told that IPhoto does not support the D90, at least not for NEF files. The version 11 also refers to iPhoto and not PSE. I must have had PSE on the brain when I wrote that! From your experience, that must not be the problem. It still leaves me with NEF files in iPhoto that I am unable to edit or transfer. I appreciate you input. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Charles, I am using IPhoto 09. It obviously handles the JPEGs perfectly, but not the NEFs. I found a list of compatible cameras for this version which listed the D90 with a asterisk, indicating that this camera required Aperture 2. It seems very strange to have iPhoto 08 work but not 09, but this seems to be the case. Several of the above posts suggest I pick up version 11. Unfortunately, it is packaged with other software which I don't need, and is not getting very high marks from users. You may have a jewel with version 08.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have an older version of iPhoto (08) and it certainly supports my D90 jpeg's and NEF files<br>

I am using IPhoto 09. It obviously handles the JPEGs perfectly, but not the NEFs. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>What version of OS X are you two running? </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>Hi Andrew-10.6.6 for me. </p>

</blockquote>

<p><a name="pagebottom"></a><br>

Exactly. That’s WHY your older version of iPhoto works. Its the OS, not the app. I posted this but apparently it wasn’t fully ingested. </p>