Radio triggers for Canon - YongNuo ?

les

<p>OK, it has been a loooooong time since I visited this place.<br>

But I am back - and with a question.<br>

I have Canon 1DII, plus Speedlites: 2x 580EX II, and 1x 550EX.<br />So far I have used them with ST-E2 transmitter, which works OK for most of the time, but...<br>

To cut to the chase: PocketWizard.sa are currently out of my price range, so I looked at YongNuo YN-622C ETTL transceivers, and YN-622C-TX flash controller.<br>

As I understand, there have been some compatibility issues with 1D cameras (now supposedly resolved).<br>

BTW - Canon 1DII does not have menu for control of the flashes.</p>

<p>Question 1: If I put YN-622C ETTL transceiver on the camera, and any of my Speedlites on top - will I be able to use this flash as a master (with all control through Speedlite menu) ? Considering my camera and Speedlite(s) - will my ability to remotely control flashes be severely compromised ?</p>

<p>Question 2: If the answer to the above is "NO" - then I guess I will have to use the YN-622C-TX flash controller on the camera - losing the on-camera flash ? Considering my camera and Speedlite(s) - will my ability to remotely control flashes be severely compromised ?</p>

<p>Question 3: This link: http://flashhavoc.com/yn622c_review/ specifies limitations for flashes and cameras, but also gives a link to http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-622c-tx-now-available/ saying that most of the limitations are now removed. Can anyone shed some light on what works and what not ?</p>

<p>In short - having radio-trigger on ETTL and (possibly ?) some control over manual mode would be nice. Is it doable with these (very reasonably priced) gizmos ? ($79 for a pair of transceivers plus $46 for the flash controller). Idid read the manuals for both - but writing manuals and/or technical descriptions doesn't seem to be the strong suit of YongNuo...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If the YongNuos work out for you great. I've never used them, so I can't comment. If they don't and you're interested in ETTL and manual control from the camera, you might look into the Phottix Odin system if they are available near you. They are more expensive than YongNuo but cheaper than PWs. I went that route because it was cheaper than switching all 4 of my canon units over to the new Canon Speedlite 600ex-rt for radio support and the various Phottix systems seem pretty flexible. As a hobby shooter I've been really happy with my purchase.</p>

<p>I do have the Yongnuo's, but for Nikon.... I believe the capabilities to be equal. They work fine, and each time I pick up the gear I am surprised at the build quality considering the price.<br>

Did you see <a href="http://www.lightingrumours.com/feature-guide-to-the-yongnuo-yn-622-for-canon-2672#.VV4CX3vd0Vc">this article</a>? I think it answers most of your questions (since with Nikon the limitations/options are slightly different than they are with Canon, I am hesitant to give answers; all I can say is that the 622-TX unit makes very light work of everything, well worth the extra bit of money).</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. Yes - I have seen this article, but I am interested mostly in units produced after December 2014 - as YongNuo introduced some changes which deal with some previous issues.</p>

• 8 months later...
<p>I have actually taken the YN622C-TX off camera with a Canon off camera shoe and cord. I have used the HSA-2 on the camera with a speedlite in the hot shoe then...the cord... then a Canon shoe to plug the cord into with the YN622C-TX in that hot shoe. You would probably want to get the newer HSA-3 hot shoe. These pieces can be had used fairly cheaply.</p>