Radio Slave recommendation? SB-80DX on D70 to monolight

jillmyers

I've searched the archives, but am overwhelmed and can't find exactly what I'm looking

for. I recently purchased a Norman DP320 Monolight kit to use for extra lighting on the

dance floor area at weddings. I'm shooting a Nikon D70 with a SB-80DX (connected hot

shoe to hot shoe on a bracket). So, something that connects to my camera body's sync

socket would be ideal, but I can get a different cord for my flash to free up my hot shoe if

needed. The monolight has a built-in optional optical slave, not radio, and has a PC sync

cord socket (not sure if my terminology is accurate...I'm just trying to say that it doesn't

have an H-prong outlet or hot shoe.) If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate

it. Let me know if you need more information.

So, if I were to go with the Pocketwizard MultiMAX, I'd buy two units, right?...one for the

SB-80 and one for the monolight? That's a bit pricey...do you think the Pocketwizard Plus

that comes with a separate transmitter and receiver would be adequate? Or, how about

something from Wein?

Right, you need two: one for the CAMERA (as a transmitter) and one on

the monolight (as a receiver). (Actually, you'd hook up the

transmitter to the PC connector on the SB-80, unless the D70 has

both a hot shoe and a pc connector).

The pocket wizards are really nice. Of course, you won't get any of the fancy TTL stuff, at least with the slave.

Why do you need radio slaves? Out of range/too bright for the optical

slave?

I don't know if the Pocketwizard Plus. You might be able to use the Pocketwizard PLUS this

way. I'm just not familiar with it. Try asking at the pocketwizard user forum:

http://www.macuserforums.com/webx?14@139.qdJUajfvpVg.1@.ee706a0

What you are paying for with Pocketwizard is reliability + versaliity + range + reliability.

Did I mention reliability?

In answer to Matt's question, I was thinking that an optical slave would be bad as it would

be set off by all the guest's cameras as well and I wouldn't want to draw too much

attention to it.

Ellis - thanks for pointing me to the Pocketwizard forum...I'll check it out.