Quietest current dSLR?

ralph_jensen

"Can't chimp the blimp."

My thoughts exactly. Blimps are fine for where the elements remain constant enough that settings need not be changed (an orchestral concert, for example) but pretty useless for semi-candid moving-target photography under changing lighting.

I suspect she'll stick with rangefinders and point-and-shoots, but thanks to all for the advice.

The better pro-sumers can switch off the artificially generated shutter noise so why on earth would she go for a DSLR ... some absurd concept that DSLRs are 'better', get better photos than pro-sumers?

Perhaps she should learn how to use her existing gear properly.

<i>"some absurd concept that DSLRs are 'better', get better photos than pro-sumers"</i><P>

I'm not sure what 'better' means to you, but the imaging chips in my prosumer cameras can't hold a candle to the larger chips in my DSLR's. <P>More importantly, if she is doing pro work, it stands to reason that she would want a camera that appears "professional" to her clients. Marketing is equally as important as skill.

I think we are talking about incremental changes in camera noise, but nothing that would any DSLR usable in a truely quiet environment without a blimp. With a blimp, it doesn't matter which camera you choose, so pick one that will get the real job done.

Even the venerable Leica M makes a zzzt-tap-tap noise that would be recognizable during a basketball game by another owner 10 feet away.

The shutter noise might be the least of her worries.

Cats and dogs might be able to hear the ultrasonic (as in, higher frequency than HUMAN hearing can detect) focusing motors* in modern SLR autofocus lenses. So even if the shutter is quiet, the lens may shriek at the pets right before the exposure.

* or, if they cannot hear the principal frequency emitted by the motors, they might hear a harmonic.

Just a thought. Maybe not a helpful or accurate one.

Be well,

• 2 weeks later...

If you can make a great 15x12 from a pro-sumer sensor I don't see any advantage in the DSLR for most people despite its larger sensor .. the argument is similar to the 35mm v MF of old? There is a definite advantage if you need to use higher ISO, but in a controlled situation lower ISO simply means adding more light.

But it is nice to be able to use the higher ISO for whatever reason it is needed, and to have the option to choose either camera :-)