questions regarding a CS5 to CS6 upgrade

<p>My present Canon camera bodies are the 5D and the T2i. I shoot raw files which I work on in adobe camera raw and then transfer into Photoshop CS5. I recently decided to purchase a 6D in the near future. I understand that I won't be able to work on raw files from the 6D with the version of ACR that comes with CS5, so I purchased an upgrade to CS6 from Adobe. I haven't purchased the 6D as yet, so I haven't yet installed CS6. My question is... Will the version of ACR that comes with CS6 allow me to open and edit raw files from the 5D and the T2i? If not, is it possible to have both CS5 and CS6 on your system at the same time? Thanks for your assistance.</p>

<p>What's supported in one version is still supported in subsequent versions, and usually with better results.</p>

<p>So yes to both questions. You can have as many versions of Photoshop as you have hard drive space for, but in most cases that's unnecessary as Adobe Camera Raw's support library is additive. (If you rely on plugins you may need to keep multiple versions of Photoshop around, but for ACR purposes you only need the latest.)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I understand that I won't be able to work on raw files from the 6D with the version of ACR that comes with CS5, so I purchased an upgrade to CS6 from Adobe.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>OR you can convert to DNG. Adobe doesn't force you to upgrade to use newer cameras but you do have to wait for them to decode the proprietary raws, which they have to do with every new camera release. Once they hack that proprietary format, they update the DNG converter (Free) and at that point, the older version of ACR you own can be used. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)