question on the 28mm 2.8 ais

jack_nordine

<p>I have a question regarding the 28mm 2.8 ais. I'm familiar with the version from 1981-2005 with serial numbers that range from 635370-837757. I just read that there is a later version of this lens that began in 2006 with serial numbers from 900001-904686. Is there any difference or are there any changes in this lens with the later serial numbers? Thanks.</p>

<p>Along with the first Canon Digital Rebel from late 2003, the Nikon D70, introduced in early 2004, put DSLRs on the map for consumers mainly because they became very affordable. As a result, in early 2006, Nikon discontinued the very popular F100 film SLR along with a bunch of manual-focus AI-S lenses.</p>

<p>I haven't verified with any Nikon lens history site, but it seems very counter-intuitive that Nikon would renew the design of any old 28mm/f2.8 AI-S lens in 2006. Such manual-focus lens can't possibly be selling in very high numbers in the last 20 years.</p>

<p> </p>

There's that photosynthesis web page that gives all those serial numbers for 2006+ production. I don't know whether

those are still made or just stock on hand that was supposedly made in 2006, but the 900000 serial number ones are

certainly the newest. There's some point before that where they updated the coatings.

I have a 900000 series 28/2.8. It's a heck of a good lens. I couldn't tell you specific ways in which it differs from older ones

but I can tell you that if you're looking for a lens like that you shouldn't hesitate to buy one. It's got great sharpness and

contrast, does well wide open and is very well made like all the classic Nikkors.

<p>It sounds like Nikon changed the serial number sequence in 2006, but there was no change in the lens design, optically or mechanically, in any way. In other words, there is not a "newer version" from 2006 on.</p>

<p>If you are buying used, you may prefer one that was manufactured more recentlly (or an older one for a deeper discount), hence the serial number may be used as a guide. But you may use an original receipt, etc. for that same purpose.</p>

<p>In any respect, the 8 element 28mm AI-S (0.2m min. focus one) is one heck of a lens.<br>

I don't have any real fancy modern glass.<br>

As such, that lens is my most sharp one from close up to medium distances.<br>

It's quite a standout in my cheapskate, humble opinion.<br>

Jim</p>

<p>So it appears that the 28mm 2.8 AIS that began in 2006 with the new serial numbers beginning with 900001 was a continuation of the old model with no changes. Thanks to everyone for the responses. If anyone knows the reason for the new set of serial numbers, please explain. I wonder if this was when they updated the coating?</p>

<p>At least one change: Those older series had a NIC- Nikon Integrated Coating on lenses. The 900000+ series lenses have SIC - coatings.<br>

You can see the difference by just looking the lens. NIC looks like reddish or purplish and SIC looks more like green colour in the front lens.<br>

SIC is newer and is supposed to give a better contrast.<br>

I have the NIC-model (for more than 20 years) and it is still very good but a bit beaten. Do not forget to glue the chip in - you will not regret shipping the lens.</p>

<p>Kari, I don't think the colour of the coatings is a good guide to whether they're SIC or NIC. I have lenses that I bought from new in the late 1970s and early 1980s - well prior to Nikon's introduction of SIC. They nearly all show a slight green tint when seen at a certain angle. In fact there's almost an entire spectrum of colours to be seen in some of Nikon's NIC coated lenses.</p>

<p>I also have an early AI 35mm f/2 Nikkor with a scalloped metal barrel that has a green coloured coating on its front element. And yet a later Ai-S (and presumably NIC) version of the same lens has a blue coated front element. Figure that one out!</p>

<p>Shown below is a 28mm f/2.8 Nikkor that definitely predates SIC according to the serial number. Nevertheless, as you can see, the coating is green. BTW I've obliterated part of the serial number because I subsequently sold that particular lens.</p>

<p>Now we are into discussion of the shades of green. This will be the longest of threads.<br>

Agreeing with R.J. I too can tilt some of my old NIC lenses so that there is a green reflection. Usually those reflections are of almost every colours. </p>

<p>To make it short: If you pick 28/2.8 Ais Nikkor with 0.2 meters MFD, that has a serial number 9000000 ( use the proper amount of zeroes ) then you get Sic coating in a very good and compact package.<br>

I can understand why Nikon re-started/continued production of these.</p>

<p>Nikon restarted the serial number of almost <em>all</em> lenses in production at the start of 2006 - take a look at the serial number page on the photosynthesis site. Lenses with the newer serial numbers are otherwise identical to the older series. The change in serial number reflects a change in organisation at Nikon, and coincides with their announcement that most film based lenses and cameras would be discontinued so Nikon could concentrate on digital imaging.</p>

<p>As for the change from NIC to SIC coating, this occurred well before 2006. In some lenses the change in the colour of the coating is clear. For example, the AIS 28/2 has red coatings on the front element up to approx no.613xxx (may be deep green depending on the angle of viewing). Lenses after they have a pale greenish coating with orange/gold overtones. This seems to be a common colour for SIC coated lenses. </p>

<p>Thanks Roland for the clarification. As I mentioned earlier, Nikon did stop production of most film SLRs and older AI-S lenses at the beginning of 2006. The F100, FM3a ... were all discontinued, leaving only the F6 and FM10, along wiht a few AI-S lenses, behind as currently "in production."</p>