Question for photo editors

I know there are a few on here:

If you are recieving B&W work, and you accept all three (prints, slides,

digital scans) what do you take the most time out to view? I can send any of

the three but want to be sure that I give myself the best chances. I was

thinking prints, as I'm sure an editor is like any of us and appreciates being

able to leave the computer to look and touch something tactile.

I feel that sending inkjet prints and if accepted send the final CD is my best

bet as far as cost, efficiecny, and impact go. I used to send darkroom prints

but found that to take way too much time and materials. The photo editor

says "no preference" but I have a feeling they will prefer one over the other.

I am a photographer not a photo editor although I am playing one while I recover from a new knee. When we have a opening here at our paper we get many people sending in a portfolio for a job. This has been as many as 150. The photo editor has to open the packaging , keep track of the resume and all the paper work and most photographer want their portfolio sent back to them as its a expensive Item to make. This is a royal pain in the butt for a photo editor who is usually over worked as well. In this Digital age, photo editors see thousands of photos every day on a computer screen. I think sending a CD with your images, is the best way to have the photo editor give your photos the time they deserve. You do not say in your question if you are looking to get hired or just looking to be published, I still think a CD with high quality scans on it, is the best answer.I would also send them as JPEGS which can be opened quickly by anyone.

I have helped hire a few photographers, what I look for consistency, quality of work, and is

the work tailored for the publication. If the photographer is not present I prefer a CD. The

main reason I do not have to worry about returning the disc.

If we meet in person I want to see prints and tear sheets. This will tell me a lot about them

as a person and as a photographer.

My present portfolio is integrated. That is to say I have prints, CD, and tear sheets. Slides

are for the most part obsolete, but that really depends on the editor and publication. I

tend to send a cover letter, resume and a CD. I am a little old school I bring tear sheets

and prints to interviews. Images are not photos until printed, for me. The presentation is

in many ways are as important as the images. So if you bring prints, bring them in

professional portfolio. If you send a CD, package it neatly, have a printed cover not a hand

written and make sure it is Mac and PC friendly.

If you have prints make sure there are no chemical stains or fingerprints. Make sure

images uniformed, if mounted then they should be on the same size mount board. If in a

book format then keep the print size consistent.