question about Hanimex 35SL

I am a rookie to 35mm cameras, and a friend of mine recently cave me a Hanimex

35SL camera (which was his fathers) to use in my photography class. Its a great

camera which also came with two lenses.

my probelm is that i cannot figure out how to remove the lens in order to put

the other lenses on.

if anyone has any knowledge about this camera, please share. the manual is very

brief and does not explain this, and i cannot find it online anywhere.

thanks

If I remember right this is a M42 screw mount, same as the Pentax screw mount and a whole bunch of other cameras of that time. The lens should just unscrew counterclockwise. Does the other lens that came with it have a screw thread at the base about 1 and 5/8 inches diameter? If so then it's an M42 mount.

Kimberly - Hanimex is actually an acronym and was the name of the photographic product importer based in Australia. They never produced any cameras, just rebranded them. A quick search in Google revealed that your Hanimex 35SL is none other than the Chinon 35CS which is screw mount camera in M42 mount, very common in the used camera market and of respected quality. The manual for the Chinon CS which should be identical to your camera can be found on this URL:

http://butkus.org/chinon/chinon/cs/cs.htm

Scroll down to changing the lens section, where you should find the instruction on how to remove the lens. So, you need to push up the exposure switch found on the left hand side of the lens mount, hold it there, and firmly unscew the lens counter clock-wise. Good luck and enjoy your class.

I also have a "Hanimex 35SL" It is a nice, solid, versatile camera with all the standard features you could ask for. The one minor snag to it is the battery. The camera was designed for a 1.35 v mercury battery. You can't get replacements any more. What I do is use the alkaline version of the same battery, and compensate by setting the meter one full film speed slower (film speed asa 200, meter asa 100). Good luck.

Your camera is nice and versatile. It has all the basic features you could ask for. As the fellows have said, the lens mount is M42, a universal screw mount. Your camera also has one peculiarity. The battery. It is designed for a 1.35 v. mercury cell. You can't get them anymore. You can get away with a 1.5 v. alkaline cell, and set the meter for one speed slower film (Film ISO 200, meter ISO 100). Good luck, enjoy your camera, and post your results. :-D

Kimberly, your camera is indeed an M42 mount as the other gentlemen have told you. If you come across any other lenses of this mount, please note, if the lens has an auto aperture, it will have the actuator pin sticking out of the back of the lens. If it does not have the pin, you will have a manual stop lens. It will still work, just you will have to turn the stop down ring manually. Keep in mind for the future, if you have to replace the battery, this model of camera was made for mercury cells which are no longer available. You'll have to get an alkaline version of the same battery, and set the meter for one film speed slower (it works with mine), Good luck with the camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
yes, the one one thing i wish this site would let you do is delete your post. I cant tell you how many times i Posted something and then realized i made a mistake, or misspelled something pretty badly, only after i posted it.