Publishing dates for American Photography magazine?

<p>I have several issues of the classic "American Photography" magazine, published by The American Photographic Publishing Company, 421 Fifth Avenue So., Minneapolis 15, MN, from 1950 and 1951.</p>

<p>After an extended Google and library search I've been unable to find information on the dates this magazine was published. They advertise that they consolidated several other publications dating back to 1889, but I'm more interested in when they _stopped_ publication.</p>

<p>Does anyone know more about this magazine?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>The short version.</p>

<p>American Photography magazine published from Aug. 1907 until 1953 when they were purchased by Ziff-Davis, publisher of Popular Photography magazine. I don't know of the last date of publication. I do have an issue from Dec. 1952.</p>

<p>The long version.</p>

<p>Dr. John Nicol published a periodical called Photographic Beacon from Nov. 1885- Feb. 1887.</p>

<p>He then published a periodical called The Beacon from Jan 1889- Dec. 1892.</p>

<p>There was a name change to the Photo Beacon that was published from Jan. 1893-Jun 1907.</p>

<p>In Jan 1894 he sold his interests to F. Dundas Todd.</p>

<p>In July 1907 Mr. Todd sold his interest to Frank Fraprie who had also purchased American Amateur Photography and Camera & Darkroom(1897).</p>

<p>In Aug 1907 Mr. Fraprie started publication of American Photography incorporating these three magazines.</p>

<p>In 1912 Mr. Fraprie left American Photography to start the original Popular Photography magazine which was publish from Oct 1912 to March 1915 when it became part of the Photographic Times. </p>

<p>In May 1915 both the Photographic Times and the original Popular Photography became part of American Photography. </p>

<p>By Jan. 1916 Mr Fraprie was once again editor of American Photography. He held that title until 1949 when John C. Bridges took over that position.</p>

<p>In Aug. 1953 Ziff-Davis announced that they were incorporating American Photography and Camera magazines into Popular Photography.</p>

<p>Here is a list of some of the older photography magazines taken over by American Photography.</p>

<p>(1870) Anthony's Photographic Bulletin</p>

<p>(1871) The Photographic Times</p>

<p>(1879) The American Photographer</p>

<p>(1889) The Photo Beacon</p>

<p>(1889) American Amateur Photographer</p>

<p>(1897) Camera Notes</p>

<p>(1897) Camera and Darkroom</p>

<p>(1898) Photo Era</p>

<p>(1902) Photographic Topics</p>

<p>(1912) The Amateur Photographer's Weekly</p>

<p>(1912) Popular Photography</p>

<p>(1918) Photo Craft</p>

<p>Some of this material concerning Dr. John Nicol came from Richard Holzman via an article by the Edinburgh Photographic Society.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Looking at my Sept. 1950 (Vol 44, No 9) issue, the "Incorporating" list also includes:</p>

<p>"The Photo Miniature" (est. 1899)<br /> "Camera Craft" (est 1900)<br /> "Photo Technique" (est 1939)</p>

<p>The publishing info is listed as follows:</p>

<p>Thomas C. Irvine, Publisher<br /> George B. Wright, editor<br /> Alfred C. Schwab, managing editor<br /> Franklin I. Jordan, F.R.P.S., F.P.S.A., editor, American Annual<br /> Ruth Branger, editorial assistant (Reader's Service)<br /> Mel Hendrickson, business manager</p>

<p>Barbara Standish, Samuel Grierson, L. Whitney Standish & Herbert C. McKay, contributing editors</p>

<p>I notice from looking at back issues on eBay that the cover design changed by the end of 1949 and again by the end of 1950, and John C. Bridges isn't mentioned in any of my issues (Sept 1950-Nov 1951) as editor. I wonder if that was part of the reorganization that ultimately led to it's incorporation into Pop Photo by 1953.</p>

<p>Who's listed as head or managing editor in your Dec 1952 issue? And does the cover title have "American" in small italics and "Photography" in larger block caps?</p>

<p>Photo mag anthropology is fun! :)</p>

<p>Editors -- Helps if I actually read the magazine. There's a notice in the front of the Sept 1950 issue stating that George Wright will be the new editorial director as of this issue.</p>

<p>Copyright -- Here's a good page discussing copyright renewal (<a href="http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/renewals.html">http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/renewals.html</a>). Apparently the original registration (if it was recorded) was good for 28 years. If they then renewed it that would add an additional 47 years (75 total). Of course, the submissions (articles and photographs) by outside individuals would have to be copyrighted by those individuals separately (which I doubt they took the time to do).</p>

<p>There are links in that FAQ to copyright renewal documents from 1950 to present. Apparently Pop Photo is now published by Bonnier Corp. Whether or not they would even know is a good question since an issue of Pop Photo I have from 2002 lists yet another publishing company (Filipacchi).</p>

<p>Interestingly, according this list (<a href="http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/cce/firstperiod.html">http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/cce/firstperiod.html</a>) I don't see first renewals for any major photography publications from 1923-1950.</p>