ProPhoto RGB in DxO 6.2

<p>I seek information on using ProPhoto RGB color space in DxO<br /><br />In my workflow I use DxO ver 6.2 as the “raw converter “ for Lightroom 3.2. I use DxO to output TIFF’s which I then “finish” (sharpen, crop etc.) in LR.<br /><br />Knowing that LR operates native in ProPhoto RGB, I am wondering if I should be configuring DxO to output in that rather AdobeRGB as I do now.<br /><br />Based on what I’ve read in other forum posts here, DxO uses its own proprietary wide gamut working space for internal operations (develop etc.) and then makes the conversion to a standard “open” space in the process operation.<br /><br />So my questions are:<br /><br />1) Is DxO’s internal working colour space sufficiently large to “map” all of ProPhoto RGB? <br /><br />2) Is there anything to be gained by using a ProPhoto RGB profile instead of AdobeRGB in processing DxO?<br /><br />3) Assuming the TIFF images are always going into LR – is there anything to be lost from doing so?<br /><br />4) Does anyone know where to download a reliable “known good” ProPhoto RGB ICC that can be used in DxO<br /><br />Thanks in advance for your assistance on this issues.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Knowing that LR operates native in ProPhoto RGB, I am wondering if I should be configuring DxO to output in that rather AdobeRGB as I do now.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That’s not exactly the case. LR uses ProPhoto primaries but a 1.0 TRC gamma. You’ll be converting whatever you bring into LR into that color space IF you use it for parametric editing. And since LR is a raw converter, its questionable if you want to be sending it rendered data from the raw rather than do the raw processing there, then render it after. <br /> As for why ProPhoto rather than Adobe RGB (1998), this should answer the questions:<br>

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I can't give you an authoritative answer for #1, anyway:</p>

<p>2) Some saturated colors may get clipped in AdobeRBG (like red flowers) so you'll be safer in ProPhotoRGB</p>

<p>3) Nothing to lose, just make sure you produce 16 bit per color files if you use such a large color space</p>

<p>4) Working spaces like ProphotoRGB are matrix profiles, usually defined by the coordinates of the primaries and a tone response curve or TRC (called also Gamma), so the one installed with the adobe applications should be fine, you don't need any special version</p>

<p>Another option in DXO is to output a DNG file, (Which is a linear DNG, not a RAW file). This DNG is not color space encoded, and you can still apply the camera profiles in LR. This is usefull if you use DXO basically for the optical corrections.</p>

<p>Even if LR 3.2 now has the lens corrections, there are some functions like lens softness or volume anamorphosis correction in DXO that make it interesting to use as a RAW converter</p>