Hi!

Is anybody using the Profoto Acute 600B? I will soon be in the market for

a portabel flash, and I would like to go with Profoto. The Acute 600B seems

fine. I am wondering if anyone has some hands on experience to share, as to how

it is to use, power, the controls etc.

Main usage of the flash would probably be fill on location, but I also need it

to be powerful enough to be the main light outdoors in sunny weather, (guess

600ws would do that).

Light modifiers I have been thinking of purchasing would be a reflective umbrella,

the beauty dish and this "ball" or globe they have to spread light evenly indoors.

:)

Why Profoto? I've used the 7B and generally think it's better to have more power that you don't always use rather than not have enough when you want it.

The globe reflector is good for interior photography, where there are nearby walls and ceiling for the light to reflect (bounce from. It isn't really suited for outside work. If you are doing mostly location work and want that effect, a Chimera Pancake lantern is arguably a better tool as it will easy to transport and produces great quality of light.

Can't say anything bad about Profoto's beauty dish, it is very versatile.

I was given two 600b set ups from the Profoto rep in my area and i loved them. I also own the

7b but that thing is a ton in comparison and thats alot for only allowing me one more stop.

the 600 b does everything i wanted it to. Yes it can over power the sun at distances up to 8

feet. The 7b you can get closer to 10 to 12 feet. So for 1 or 2 people it is fine. For you indoor

work or lower power settings it can do all the things that any other pack can do. The

modeling light is nice and bright and stays one constintly which is nice but it does eat up the

battery. be prepared to buy a couple extra batteries at $250 each. You are looking at about

$2,200 per set up with built in pocket wizards plus an extra $500 per pack for two extra

batteries. it is nice to do a two light set up with out wires or power cords.

The reason for wanting to go with Profoto is that when I buy into a flash system I want it to be a system I can stay with for a long time.

I have tried Broncolor (the photographer I assisted used Bron) and I liked those a lot, but they are very expensive and do not seem as solidly built as Profoto. I use Hensel in a rental studio, do not like those much at all. Plastic feeling and variable output (colortemp and flash). Also a friend of mine uses the 7B, and he has been very happy with it.

Admittedly I would like to purchase the 7B or the B2, but the Acute 600B seems like a more affordable solution. But still I am hesitating to use this much money on just one flash. Yet the thing the Acute 600B

has got going for it is the portability. You see, I am always alone (do not have any assistants) and everything always happens so fast, so the lighter and more portable the better. But sure I need the power as well.

The Chimera Pancake lantern looks interesting, I will have to look into if anyone is selling those here in Norway. I was thinking of using a large umbrella for fill/main light outdoors. The globe of course only indoors.

Alternatively I could wait six months and just get the B2.

As you say; it's better to have more power that you don't always use rather than not have enough when you want it.

:)

To Michael Mowery

As I understood from a rep from the importer of Profoto here in Norway you can keep it plugged in while using it indoors, is that true?

Can you not turn the modelling lights off? Certainly it will eat your battery otherwise. Guess a couple of spare batteries is a good idea anyhow.

I have gotten by so far with only a Nikon SB800, but there is not enough power and the lightsource itself is too small.

"You are looking at about $2,200 per set up" - if only so well :)

Norwegian Kroner for Acute 600B setup incl. VAT: 23.555,-

equals approximately 4.000,- USD (today). Then one needs some legs for the head, light modifiers, Pocket Wizards for my camera and my lightmeter and a spare battery.

But there is supposedly a version of this pack without the PW as well.

Do the packs have built in slave capability?

Maybe byuing from B&H would be a good idea :)

I understand that you would highly recommend this setup. You seem to be very happy with it yourself ("I was given two 600b set ups from the Profoto rep in my area" - you must be a happy man :D)

• 7 months later...

I just purchased the 600B. I LOVE IT! Compared to the Pro7 its very light yet powerfull. The

controls are very clean and simple. Ive owned several Hensel Porty systems and recently

switched to Profoto 7 and acute 600b. Im loving the quick recycle time on both profoto

packs. I would recommend an additional battery, 150 full power flashes goes fast. The

batteries swap in seconds. The design is built well, rock solid. My images look very well lit.

For a small local shoot requiring one head the 600b is perfect! Very Pro system!