<p><p>

maybe someone could help me along with information on how i can get a license

for beeing a professional photographer in the United Kingdom. Would be VERY

much appreciated.

<p><p>

I'm in need of the information because here in Austria where i live, being a

professional photographer is widely protected (or let's say prohibited) by law

for anyone who has not committed a 3 year apprenticeship and a while

thereafter an examination for registered masterhip.

<p><p>

A lawyer told me, that nowadays, if you are allowed to do business in one

country of the European Community, this must be accepted in all the others -

so you get the clue ...

<p><p>

I'm doing photography 20+ years on private basis and i started my own tiny

little publishing enterprise (photography) last year. As far as i sell my

printed photographs or books or posters as art there is no problem.

<p><p>

But i'm not allowed to work for someone on contract (just selling what is

already there) and this is quite a limitation for me, 'cause as people get

knowledge of my work, i could easily do some pretty jobs ... supposed being

legally allowed to do so.

<p><p>

thank you very much in advance for your help :-))

<p>

best regards, wolfgang ...

Dear Gary,

<p><p>

dont' regret it, that sounds wonderful for you - and maybe to me too :-)))

<p><p>

Maybe i can get it the other way round, which means, if i work as a professional photographer here, sooner or later i will be sued by one of my honourful registered collegues before the local administration or the chamber of commerce. Then i could eventually raise this argument into discussion.<p><p> Nonetheless i surely will get sentenced, but at least this way i will have the opportunity to go up the hierarchy of courts to finally the supreme court to get it all cleared.<p><p>

I really dont like to do this, because that means lots of time and money to be invested, but maybe i can find a lawyer-friend to support this fundamental case for his own sake (and for free <g>) - or some fellow photographers who would like to support my matter as well as it's also useful for them.<p><p>

If i may ask you for a further favor, i'd like to point out that a link to any offical document would be fine, where i can find any remark, that professional photography is free of the duty of licensing.

<p><p>

Thank you again in advance!

<p><p>

best regards, wolfgang ...

Hi Wolfgang,

Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing for anyone in the UK to be able to call themselves a pro photographer depends on ones own perspective - and as a photographer you will know that perspective depends entirely on viewpoint.

I think it has to be a bad thing for clients to hire someone who appears to be professional and to then be unhappy with the results, but that's just my viewpoint.

I don't know of any link that will confirm that there are no licencing requirements, but you might like to ask the British Institute of Professional Photographers to confirm it for you. http://www.bipp.com

Hi Garry,

Garry,

<p><p>

>>I think it has to be a bad thing for clients to hire someone who

appears to be professional and to then be unhappy with the results,

but that's just my viewpoint.<< <p><p>

i share this point of view entirely ... - but nonetheless let me say that i see a lot of work done by 'professionals' which is not exactly what i understand as quality work as well. And maybe they learn to check the photographers recently done work to be up to their needs ...<p><p>

My additional point is: this kind of folks will loose their customers rapidly and on the other side the disappointed customers will learn to worship good work and moreover they will accept a reasonable price for it in the future.<p><p>

...and hands down, but a bad photographer is not just as dangerous as a bad mechanic, forgetting to adjust your cars brakes correctely... <p><p>

Already being off-topic now, i'd like to throw in another idea... :-)<p>

The decision to make an aprenticeship as a photographer around here has to be made at the age of 14 or 15. It's prooved, youngsters choose to become a pro photographer because they CAN get a job, because their uncle knows the boss etc. It's not really that they are amazed by the art of seeing or feel the urgent need to photograph because that is the only thing they want to do in their life. The results of such an apprenticeship are widely predictable. Photography to them is merely a job, that has to be fulfilled. No pun intended with that and i admit, there are also very skilled and enthuastic 'registered master-pro's', but i fear, not all of them ... :-)<p><p>

>... you might like to ask the British Institute of Professional Photographers to confirm it for you.<p><p>

excellent hint, thank you very much!<p><p>

best regards, wolfgang ...<p><p>

Hi Robert,<p><p>

<< ...and they say austrians have no sense of humour.....! oh my aching sides ! ;o] >>,<p><p>

... and imagine this, i'm definitely not the funniest guy around here! ... so i'm glad to make your day slightly more bearable :-)))<p><p>

all the best, wolfgang ...<p><p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...