Problem with Nikon D7000 and Memory Cards

robert_werner1

<p>I just purchased a D7000 2 days ago and have been testing it out. The camera itself is wonderful but I'm having several issues with the memory cards. Here are the ones I've been trying:<br />A. Patriot LX Series 32GB Class 10<br />B. Same as 'A'<br />C. PQI 16GB Class 6<br /><br />I've formatted all of these cards in the camera. I've tried each of them in both Slot 1 and Slot 2. It would be accurate to say they work "some of the time" but often I'll take a photo, then another, and all is fine. But then when I take the next photo there's a memory card failure. FYI none of these shots are in rapid succession.<br /><br />Sometimes I can resolve the problem, albeit temporarily, by removing the card and then inserting it back in.<br /><br />Frequently, when both Slots are occupied with cards, it's the card in Slot #2 that fails to work.<br /><br />Simply put, I didn't pay all this money to have this kind of flakiness. I am going to contact Nikon now but I fear they'll just give me the "company line" of "you can only use the cards we've approved".<br /><br />By the way, when I plug any of these cards in my $15 card reader attached to my PC the cards work perfectly each & every time.<br /><br />Might it be possible/likely that my brand new D7000 is defective?<br>

Sincerely,<br>

Robert Werner</p>

<p>I agree with Matt - get a good brand before condemning the camera. It is possible that the camera is defective and if it is, take it back to the point of purchase and demand an exchange for a new one - I wouldn't accept waiting for Nikon to repair it when it's less than a month old.<br>

I bought an A-Data card because it was large, fast and cheap - and the salemen said they had been solid cards (it was a computer store). Too bad, it was too cheap. Luckily there weren't that many shots on it when it failed and most were recoverable with some recovery software.</p>

<p>I only use OCZ and Sandisk in my D90 now (I've used OCZ products for years without issues that's why I tried their SDHC cards).</p>

<p>Cost wise the Patriot memory cards are not much less expensive than typical name brand cards. But it appears the 32gb should be avoided if using the D7000.</p>

<p>The problem could be with the cards. Or the camera. Test your cards on another camera. Test your camera with other cards. And let us know the results.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Check out the approved list of memory cards on Nikon's website. Here is the approved list for the D7000.<br /><a rel="nofollow" href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17061" target="_blank">http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17061</a><br />DON'T GO CHEAP ON MEMORY. ALL MEMORY IS NOT THE SAME.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>"Operation is not guaranteed with other makes of card. Contact the manufacturer for details on the cards not listed above"</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Read your manual, then get a SanDisc card, problem solved.</p>

<p>Just bought a 2 pack of 8gb Sandisk SD cards at Costco for $31.99. I've had 99% good luck with Sandisk cards (only once did I lose a dozen or so images). I stick with brands I know are good, like Sandisk and Lexar, and don't use anything else.</p>

<p>I have spent a lot of money to buy a Class 10 TOSHIBA 32G SDHC memory card and put it in Slot 2 of my D7000. What I have found is after a few video records (which stored automatic using slot 2 instead of slot 1), the whole D7000 camera will hang-up: No screen display nor any button response.<br>

It seems the processor inside the D7000 is "Too Busy" in reading the memory card and not able to do anything else except you need to turn it off or if patient enough, wait for a few minutes each time when the camera need to access the memory card.<br>

I have found NO problem with the 32G memory card when using it for something else (such as in PC and PVR) and this card is in the Nikon's approved list.<br>

I get a feeling that the D7000 is not yet ready for huge memory storage as big as 32G and beyond - I need to use 16G instead at the moment.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sharing my experience of memory cards with Nikon D7000, FW1.01 all purchased as dual sets, these are commonly available in New Zealand.<br>

FAIL = 2 x Apacer SDHC 16GB Class 10, Part No: AP16GSDHC10 (failed @ 10 shots)<br />FAIL = 2 x Apacer SDHC 16GB Class 6, Part No: AP16GSDHC6 (failed @ 10 shots)<br />GOOD = 2 x Apacer SDHC 8GB Class 10, Part No: AP8GSDHC10 (no fault after 500 shots)<br>

Failure modes:<br />(a) Camera locks up, won't turn off, battery removal only way to restart camera.<br />(b) Camera displays [ - E - ], where counter normally shows, both sd slot indicators vanish on LCD, won't turn off, battery removal only way to restart camera.<br />© Camera takes a long time to start up, with green busy led, the gives up and flashes [For] and [<2] card.<br>

Have briefly tested cards in a few other cameras / computers / card readers without fault observed. All cards were camera formatted before use.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I just had the same problem with a 32gb cheap memory card. it was the first time I used my d7000 for a wedding shoot and everything went well a while. after 200-300 photos taken the 'card is defect' error came.<br>

I thought I lost all my photos, but I see them on pc. Normally I buy brandy cards, but this card I was using for my GoPro camera, without any problems. So I just tested it with my d7000. But I think I have to figure out how to solve that problem.<br>

I might buy some smaller cards, but of better quality this time.</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>I have recently experienced the same problem. However, after receiving an email from Nikon today I found out that my cards were too NEW and the camera is not compatible with them. Apparently the SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s is not compatible and only the 20MB/s and lower is.....well there goes $100 on my brand new cards :( I also find it kind of strange that my Nikon D90 worked fine with the same type of card (except 8GB). Something sus here...</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I just had an experience after shooting a movie. I turned the camera on an tryed to shoot a picture and "err" flashed in the viewfinder and LCD display. I tried shutting the camera off, removing the battery, changing modes, even formatting the card. The "card" error would not let me do anything. The camera found an error in the professional PNY 32GB card and would not function even though a good card was in slot 1. I took the card out and later put it into a computer. The Win7 transfer card showed a green bar of approx 4GB green and a small 200Mb section yellow. I don't know what the yellow part of the bar means. I was able to transfer all of the JPG files and the movies were on the slot 1 card. In then reformatted the card in the computer and then in the camera. The card seens to function fine now so far.<br>

I am worried about a repeat incident and I want to know what the yellow bar is in the Win7 transfer window that appears when the card is inserted in the computer.</p>

<p>I just got two sandisk 32gb 30mb/sec class 10 cards for my D7000. Both work great initially but after some use (anything from 30-400 shots) the camera will freeze, showing a 'card is defective' message. Taking the card out and putting it back in clears the problem and the card will carry on working for a while. I've got older class 6 8gb cards from Fuji that work fine with the D7000.</p>

<p>Hey there,<br>

I've experienced problems with the Sandisk 16GB Extreme (30MB/Sec) cards as well. It seems the issues (as many have already described) occur only when both card slots are occupied. Only one card inserted -- no apparent problems. Also, when I insert my two Sandisk 16GB Ultra (20MB/Sec) cards the camera works fine, all the time. Perhaps there is an issue with the D7000 working well with Class10 cards like the Extreme. The Ultras are Class6.<br>

Rob</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Having the same issue. Nikon D7000 with 2 x Sandisk Extreme 32gb. Both formatted in camera and cards themselves don't seem to throw any actual errors, but every few dozen shots or so on an apparently random basis the camera will lock up with a card error and other times the camera won't turn off. Removing battery and reinserting cards seems to do the trick, but that's getting old quickly. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I Had this Problem after just recently purchasing 4 16gb sandisk ultra class 6. I get camera freezing and card errors after shooting between 10 and 30 shots. I Googled and found that as of Nov 10th a "B" firmware 1.03 Has been released. <a href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17542">http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17542</a> Here is what it addresses<br /> <strong>Modifications enabled with B firmware Ver. 1.03</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>An error where the card may not have been recognized when some memory cards were used has been addressed.</li>

<li>The following issues occurred when the mode dial was rotated from U1 or U2 to another shooting mode or from another shooting mode to U1 or U2 when the power was off or when the exposure meters are off (Auto meter-off). These issues were resolved.</li>

<li>

<ul>

<li>A new folder is sometimes created despite the fact that the current folder does not yet contain 999 files and none of the files are numbered “9999”.</li>

<li>The number of remaining exposures may not be displayed as specified in the settings.</li>

<li>The setting for <strong>Role played by card in Slot 2</strong> may change between <strong>Overflow, Backup,</strong> and <strong>RAW Slot 1- JPEG Slot 2</strong>.</li>

</ul>

</li>

<li>An issue where <strong>Battery info</strong> in the setup menu sometimes showed sufficient remaining charge even when the remaining charge for the AA batteries inserted in the MB-D11 battery pack was low has been resolved.</li>

<li>An issue where a saved photo may not have been displayed properly when a movie was displayed in playback mode while saving the photo has been resolved.</li>

<li>An issue where zoom in or zoom out may not have performed properly when the playback zoom in or playback zoom out button was pressed while in Live view has been resolved.</li>

<li>The message displayed when the internal memory of the Wireless Transmitter WT-4 is formatted from the Format transmitter's memory under Device settings in Wireless transmitter of the camera’s setup menu was changed from Done to Built-in memory formatted.</li>

<li>The message displayed when the internal memory of the Wireless Transmitter WT-4 is formatted from the <strong>Format transmitter's memory</strong> under <strong>Device settings</strong> in <strong>Wireless transmitter</strong> of the camera’s setup menu was changed from <strong>Done</strong> to <strong>Built-in memory formatted</strong>.</li>

</ul>

<p>Just Downloaded it. Will giving an update with my findings</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>I have the Nikon D7000 and i currently have a Sandisk 4Gb SD card in it. I took photos yesterday and as i took the pictures i view them on the screen, but when i took the SD card out and went to load them onto my ipad and computer not all the photos are there, some have just vanished. Not happy as they were the most important pics of the day. I have tried recovery software but they dont come up.</p>