Pro Bono contract

martin_alston

I recently placed an ad to do some pro bono work shooting weddings

for couples that didn't have a lot of money to spend on a

photographer. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door and build a

portfolio. I've had several responses and one happens to be this

weekend. Now since I'm not charging anything I'm not worried about

covering fees and such but should I have a contract anyways and what

should I include. Does anyone perhaps have a sample? Thanks.

I agree, you need a contract of some sort. It needs to say as Steve suggested, that you are not held liable for anyghing. I would use a standard contract, and just add that the fee is 0. Contracts cover more than just money. They cover shooting times, when and where, and liabiliy.

You really should incorporate Steve Wolfe's suggestion (about damages limited to what they have paid you).

As far as your statement for collecting payment prior to the wedding for film, you might consider something indicating that payment in full for the cost of film would need to be made X amount of time prior to the wedding for film to be used. That way, if you are not paid in advance, with sufficient time to get film in quantity corresponding to what you've been paid, you don't need to provide the film. Collecting is an ambiguous term if they say you failed to collect what they were willing to pay you (stories can change, that's why there are contracts).

Of course, if you are using film, you need to be paid X amount of time in advance to develop the film as well.

A contract specifies what is being exchanged and is evidence of a "meeting of minds". You are not asking for money, but you want to retain copyright and to use the images for your portfolio for which you'll need a model release. So I would explicitly state that "the photographer retains copyright and is granted the right to use the images for promotion and education." In other words, you can post them here and ask how to change something, you can use them in a portfolio or on a poster. In exchange they get what? X number of prints? A CD of pictures? A contract makes these things explicit.