prints from E6 120 film

For the holidays, I recieved 30 rolls of Fujichrome Velvia (120

format). Turns out that it's a E6 process.

I'm unfamiliar with the uses of medium-format sized slides. My local

lab, Gamma, tells me the only way to make prints is to scan in the

negs, which will run about $40 per print!

I've never heard of a medium format slide projector, and the variety

of frame sizes makes the concept seem unlikely. I'm primarily a fine

arts photographer, so the only use for slide film I'm aware of is for

contest submission.

I have an All-in-One scanner, which I don't think can scan slides (I

know it can't scan negs). I know there are a lot of cheap flatbed

scanners which come with negative/slide scanning abilities, but I'd

rather not try to find space for a second scanner on my desk.....

Any suggestions?

I think you mean "scan in the positive slide" because you don't have a negative. What kind of equipment are they using to print the image after they scan it? If they are doing a drum scan and using a Lightjet on some really high gloss paper then $40 may be a bargain. Since that seems to much then look for another lab. I think the Fuji Frontier has the capability to scan and print medium format although the quality will probably not match the $40 job. <p> Medium format slide projectors do exist. You can buy one new <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1498/Projectors_Medium_Format_Slide_Projectors.html">here</a> for over $1000 or get a used one off of ebay for $1. Here's some more <a href="http://medfmt.8k.com/bronslideproj.html">info</a><p>Are you saying that your only use for slide film is contest submission or are you asking why other people use slide film?<p>If you want to do it at home then buy a flatbed scanner with a 120 holder or something like the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro which is a dedicated film scanner for 35mm and 120.<p>Perhaps you should just sell the 30 rolls to someone.

Amul, if you are talking about Gamma in Chicago, I think you misunderstood them. Gamma charges healthy prices, but I can't imagine them charging $40 for a regular-size print from a medium format transparency.

If you want, come see us at P J's in Glen Ellyn, we make prints from MF transparencies up to 6x9 cm on C-paper using a Noritsu 2901 machine. We charge $0.89 for 4x5 inch or 4x6 inch prints:

http://pjcamera.com/

Ravi, let's get at the basics. Right now in my career, my medium format camera is only really useful in helping me to get models for TFP. Certainly I'm not finding any jobs for it. I'm sure there's a vast difference in the quality between Gamma's 18MB scan & Lightjet 2080 8x10 print versus a 300 dpi flatbed scan that I print out with my 6-color HP, but I'm not skilled enough to see it.

So aside from impressing women with the size of my slide projector, what can I do with this film? My path charting photography thus far has always consisted of getting my hands on a new (to me) piece of tech and figuring out what it's merits are. Haphazard, I know, but a lot of fun.

I'm asking why other people use slide film. Why *I* might start using medium format slide film. I got the stuff for free, it's a chance to learn, and above all THAT is what I want to do. Learn more.

Beyond that, I used a roll while doing a TFP shoot, and the best photos happened to be on that roll. I'd like to give a print off it to the model, since I consider the implicit agreement in a TFP shoot is to give them the BEST prints I can afford. I can't afford $40 a print, I'm used to printing the B&Ws myself.

Eric,

The total worked out like this:

$20 per roll of medium format scanned to disk, with index sheet (I already cut it up, so that's 3 rolls, next time it'd be a single charge).

roughly $25 per 8x10 print off the disk.

How much does PJ's charge for 8x10s? Might be worth the 1.5 hour drive....

Dan is right. Velvia is awful for people since it makes their skin look reddish. It looks great for western rock formations and landscape style shots. I like Velvia because I like to take landscape shots instead of people.<p>If you are asking a general slide vs. print film question then the reason many prefer slide film is because they have more control over their work. With print film you are at the mercy of the person running the printing machine who will adjust colors, exposure, etc. With slides you have a positive image that was your original film with which to compare the print against.

• 1 year later...
The 120 carrier and masks are an optional accessory from Fuji and most labs aren't able to justify the expense for the number of 120 films they'd see. However if you find one that does have the 120 masks and carrier they'll be able to do prints from 120 film.