Printing Help- Green and Magenta Cast

Hi,

I am a B/W printer. I am presently printing with Awagami Bamboo 170gms paper on Epson R3000. I am getting a green cast when printing is "Managed by Printer." And if I print with manufacturer's icc profile with Split Tone set at zero, I get a magenta cast. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help:)

Aaron

Trying to print B&W with colour inks is never a good idea. Even if you get neutral results straight away, they'll probably shift over time.

Are you waiting at least 24hrs for the inks to properly dry and stabilise?

I suggest you ignore profiles etc and set up the printer driver manually. I found that to be the only way to get an Epson printer to behave. Mine used to squirt far too much ink by default. I had to tame it by taking the CMY densities down in the manual control (advanced) page of its driver.

Anyway, after the ink-wasting experience of that last Epson I switched to a Canon printer and haven't looked back.

If you're serious about B&W you should look at a printer that uses greyscale inks. Or set up a darkroom and make proper silver-gelatine prints.

Trying to print B&W with colour inks is never a good idea. Even if you get neutral results straight away, they'll probably shift over time.

Are you waiting at least 24hrs for the inks to properly dry and stabilise?

I suggest you ignore profiles etc and set up the printer driver manually. I found that to be the only way to get an Epson printer to behave. Mine used to squirt far too much ink by default. I had to tame it by taking the CMY densities down in the manual control (advanced) page of its driver.

Anyway, after the ink-wasting experience of that last Epson I switched to a Canon printer and haven't looked back.

If you're serious about B&W you should look at a printer that uses greyscale inks. Or set up a darkroom and make proper silver-gelatine prints.

Hi Rodeo-Joe

The color cast remains. I've wasted much ink and paper playing around with different split toning and filters to remove the cast with no success.

I have no idea how to set up printer driver manually, but I'll read up on it.

Greyscale ink printers? I didn't know they exists. Will google to find out too.

Used to make darkroom prints some years ago. Not so practical in where I live now as films and darkroom supplies are not common.

Thanks for your reply:)

Aaron

You either need a really, really good ICC output profile that produces neutral results in the output color space OR use a printing method made for this; something like Epson’s Advanced B&W which doesn’t use all inks and is made (when so set) to produce dead nuts neutrals. Printing with just black ink is NOT a solution for a number of reasons!

Printing a Black-and-White Image | Jeff Schewe on Making a Digital Print | Peachpit

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

"Printing with just black ink is NOT a solution for a number of reasons!"

- Not what I suggested at all. I said greyscale inks; i.e. the printer uses a number of densities of grey ink as well as black.

This can be done by feeding a standard 4 colour printer with specially manufactured grey/black ink cartridges and using a tweaked printer driver (usually supplied by the ink manufacturer).

Lyson supply such inksets.

"Printing with just black ink is NOT a solution for a number of reasons!"

- Not what I suggested at all. I said greyscale inks; i.e. the printer uses a number of densities of grey ink as well as black..

That’s not the solution WITH the OP’s inkset! NOT possible with an R3000 anyway with the OP’s ink set. Advanced B&W, that’s the solution*. It prints with all but 2 inks (yes, colored inks!). DO ask the OP if he wishes to turn his R3000 into a dedicated B&W printer with non OEM inks (when he doesn’t have to)!

* Epson R3000 Review

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

That Epson R3000 review says almost nothing - but the user feedback below it says a lot.

Information elsewhere shows that the R3000 has photo black, "light black" - (that's grey surely?) and "light light black" inks. So why would split toning be necessary? Or even advisable if a neutral result was wanted.

BTW typing it in bold doesn't make it any truer.

That Epson R3000 review says almost nothing - but the user feedback below it says a lot.

Information elsewhere shows that the R3000 has photo black, "light black" - (that's grey surely?) and "light light black" inks. So why would split toning be necessary? Or even advisable if a neutral result was wanted.

BTW typing it in bold doesn't make it any truer.

It appears you’ve never owned an Epson printer that has the Advanced B&W Joe. Do ask me how many I’ve owed.

Tell us HOW using the Epson driver, you print using only Black and Gray inks if you can. There’s ZERO reason if you could and there’s a mode that’s significantly more powerful with more options!

DO attempt to prove that my text, bold or otherwise isn’t true; IF you can!

I’ve told the OP how to use his printer to produce dead nuts neutral B&W prints, or toned prints, or color prints using the inks and driver he already owns.

And DO go to this site and see about those of us who were teaching this stuff at the Epson Print Academy:

Epson Print Academy, Industry's Premier Educational Photo Printing Seminars, Kicks Off All-New Program With Latest Breakthrough Technologies - PPA Today

The reason there's so much ignorance on the subject of printing is that those who have it are so eager to regularly share it! - The Digital Dog