Print Photos at the Event

timberwolf1

What components would you choose for the ideal PC with XP windows to create prints

from digital media, and burn CDs for the customer at the event? Which LCD screen would

you use? Which printer? 32 bit or 64 bit computer CPU? Would you run two printers?

Why would you choose these components vs. any other choices?

Do you mean laptop?

<p>

<a href="http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51m.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M&SubCode=SKU-EXTREME">laptop</a>

<p>

Its got a solid BIOS, and registered components(no crappy gateway/dell sub-standard parts here)

<p>

I would say that more RAM is always better than a faster processor. I would definetly have a gig of RAM rather than a processor twice as fast with half as much RAM. A fast processor is worthless if it has a) low bus speed & cache(a problem in today's computers) b)slow/not enough RAM.

<p>

Personally, I would say to get a MAC though, because though they are more difficult to correctly configure, they are more rock solid in the long run for general usage.

I'd go Mac also. G4, 15" LCD, Max processor with DVD burn/play version, 2 gigs of RAM,

OSX 10.3.3, PhotoShop CS with RAW version 2.2, Mac 40 gig i-Pod for external storage,

multiport Firewire external add on, Airport Extreme, Spare 4 hour battery, Firewire CF card

reader, Smaller Dye sub printer that makes true 4X6 proofs using glossy surface (many to

chose from).

I don't understand the "harder to configure" comment. These Macs are load, calibrate

screen, and use machines. The screen calibration operation on OSX 10 is one of the best

out there. Turn them on and scream away.

Question #1 for on site printing is how many prints an hour do you have to make. This will drive how many and what sort of printers you need. PC speed is virtually irrelevent: you will not be Photo Shoping images. Software is probably more important than the computer HW. There are programs made for event photography, on site printing.

More important, and relevent questions are:

- What kind of event are you working?

- Do you make prints on spec, or do you use viewing stations?

- Do you follow up by putting the event on line so people can order additional prints?

- What is the business arrangement with the organizers? For some types of events they pay you for the photography and prints. For things like youth sports, you pay the organizer.

- Are you going to make or lose money doing this? This sort of photography tends to only be gratifying in monetary terms.

Other points: In many cases shooting and selling/printing is going on at the same time, so it's not a one man band gig. BTW, 5x7 is the most common print size.

Event photography/printing is a very braod area, with many sub-specialties and ways of doing things, that the narrowness of the Timber's question ignores.

Bruce, are there any specific 5X7 printers that offer the portability needed for such on site

printing that you would suggest? What kind are they... Dye-sub, Ink-jet?

For sure you are correct that it's not a one man band set-up to pull prints at an event.

I acquired mine from a provider of business systems (not the crappy compUSA or gateway store). I got the fastest machine they had and added a CDRW and 200GB hard drive with CRT screen. This was about two years ago, and it's time to upgrage. Although I've always been a PC person, I really hate XP. I've fallen for the Mac G5. They have a system for graphics professionals with two G5 processors, a LaCie CRT monitor, and DVD,CD,CDRW, etc. drives. They only thing I will add is a LaCie 1 Terabyte hard drive.

Dye Subs are very popular because a lot of photograpers are concerned about inkjet prints fading. Mitsubishi makes the CP8000DW (which even comes with "Event" software) that can do a 5x7 in under 1 minute. Sony also makes rugged, high speed dyesubs. We use some older Sony's. The computers (old Pentium II's running Win 98) run Photo Mall software and connect to the Sonys via SCSI. The key thing here is the software talks directly to the printers. With 2 printers on a SCSI port, the print job goes to whichever printer is open. This is why I said the software is important.

There's a site dedicated to event photography: http://www.iapep.com/ (International Association of Professional Event Photographers) There is also an active event photographer's forum on Rob Galbraith's site.

I had a look at iapep is anyone here a member?

I ask because although they call themselves international they don't seem

to operate anywhere other than the US.

I was also a little concerned that they seemed more interested in getting

fees rather than whether the photographer was competant (sp?).

back on topic

I use HiTi or Hi Tech dye sub printers which I have just upgraded to the

730 that offers a range of print sizes, 6x8 5x7 4X6 and I usually print

straight from the CFcard rather than bothering with any computers which

can be a pain.

For this I shoot raw and small jpeg. The small jpeg is fine for the event

and if someone wants an enlargement then I alway have the raw.

The hiti printers can crop and resize and offer a bit of sharpening if

required, but the LCD is to small to do much else although the firmware

offers a number of options.

Depending on the event I shoot in 1hr blocks and these are then printed

to contact sheets which the customers can select from.

It's fast conveniant and seems to go down well at the event.

I am sure there are lots of other approaches but this works for me.

And... Yes this is not a one man job. I shoot and my assistant produces

prints as well as taking aditional shots if required at the stand while I am

out and about.

M.

Alas an area I am very familiar with!

I shoot hockey tournaments as well I am a computer analyst. This combination works for me.

The most important area is workflow if you are shooting and then presenting to your customer you cannot keep them waiting. 20 hockey parents all wanting to see their kid can be intimidating.

I use 1 PIII 933 DUAL Processor pc with XP Pro along with Two Canon I950,s pooled this enables me two send to one printer and the free one will get the next job.

I also have a PIII 650 Dell Laptop that can work standalone as well as print through to the 950,s.

To present the pictures I use a 17 inch crt for now but will soon replace this with a lcd.

Workflow is the main concern get the editing done on the camera by this I mean Exposure, Wite Balance and framing. The less you have to do on the pc the better. Get the pictures out fast is the main focus forget the artistic side of photography parents are just happy to have a good action shot of there child they want to see the face and the eyes.

I have found the following software helpfull.

Iview for doing the slideshow and giving the customer a number for the photo.

Iomega photo printer for drag and drop pinting and selecting the photos to print.

I use Nikon View 6.2 for the handling of the images and rotation.

The majority of our shots that we sell are 8X10,s and rest are 5X7,s about 20%.

Here is a shot of our booth. During one of the quiet times between games.