Print 10x12 from a small file, how to?

A very close friend of mine, passed away yesterday and I would like

to print a photo of him to be used in the funeral.

The problem is I need to print 10 x 12 size but the pictures I have

are small, 1024 x 1536 (size about 600KB).

I use photoshop elements 2. Please advice how do I print a good

resolution 10 x 12 pic from a file size stated above.

The only thing that I can do for the decease is to print a decent

photo for his funeral.

Thank you!

Assuming you mean 10x12 *inches*, this file will lead to a print at about 100 pixels per inch. Quite low, but if people don't look too close it will work. Personally, I would do just that - print it from the file size you have.

The other option is to up size the file to perhaps 2048x3072. There are several ways to do this. In Photoshop or a similar image editor, you can choose the default mode of up-rezzing a file, or choose one of the alternate methods that are built in (if there are any in your program) to see if they might be better on the particular file you have. Or you can try doing a step increase method, where you do several 10-15% increases until you get it to the size you want. Or you can buy a program, like Genuine Fractals, and see if it does a better job. Personally, I have no faith in any of these methods and have yet to see a print where they made a substantial difference as opposed to just printing from the original file size, but others seem to swear by them.

If you like, request my email address from Photo.net and send it to me, it will take a couple of minutes to res-up in Photoshop CS, although you may still want to adjust the color, levels, etc. It can be done about as fast as explaining the process; plus it sounds like you have other things to worry about. Paul