Pricing for a Photo of Artwork for a Coffee Table Book

isphotography

<p>Hey all... I have been offered a pretty easy job to take high-res pictures of animated art for a coffee table book (the guy making the book is not the original artist - copyright is held by the artist's estate and Time Warner, or something like that). <br>

I know that the "normal" way to do this is to charge for taking the pics and then charge for the right to use them (from what I've read, anyway), but I'm wondering if it is different because I'm only taking pictures of a picture, in essence.<br>

I quoted a good rate to take the pics w/ a clause stating that the subsequent charges for right to print will be based upon distribution.<br>

The publisher wrote back to me saying that my initial charge is in the realm of what they expected to pay, but that they will not give any extra funds for "right to print," as the copyright for the artwork is held elsewhere (asically just saying that they want photographic services on a "work for hire" basis, and there cannot be any extra funds for "publishing rights").<br>

I understand their position, and agree with it in general, but do not want to kick myself, ya' know?<br>

So any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thanks!</p>