Pricing 11x14 and 16x20 silver gelatin prints, toning

gauthier

A photo artist has recently asked me to print some of his pictures for an

upcoming exhibit. He used to have his silver gelatin prints (on FB paper) made

in local pro labs, but no one handles FB paper or toning in Montreal, QC any

more. I'm a good printer and I can handle the job of fine art silver prints, but

I'm ni pro and I would do this as a sideline in my own darkroom.

Now, given the fact that I'll provide the darkroom, the chemistry, the paper and

my time, what would a fair price be for 11x14 and 11x16 prints, processed to

archival standards? Should I charge a flat rate per print, or an hourly charge,

and in what range? Should the fact that I am no pro, and that I don't have to

pay for a commercial lease and other such expenses, be factored into the price?

The same artist would probably also ask me to selenium tone some of the prints I

would make, plus some prints he already has. Again, how much extra would you

charge for my own prints during the printing process, or for toning, washing and

drying his in a special session?

Again, I would like to stress that this question is not about art pricing - the

nagatives are not my own - but merely about the the value of the actual print

job, ie, an art print where I'll have to handle such decisions as cropping,

exposure and contrast, burning and dodging, and the depth of toning.

Good idea, I will ask them for a quote. It's difficult to compare here in Montreal, no one does this job any more, except for one lab that will only print on RC paper. B&W has become a niche market, for sure.

That said, I wonder how much a master printer like John Sexton charges? Not that I'm anywhere as good, but I wonder how much the truly great printers can earn?

I don't think John Sexton prints for others. But the idea of getting prices from other labs as a guide is a good idea. That fact that you are not paying a lease or overhead is irrelevant -- your work is worth what it's worth and if you manage to hold down expenses by working out of the house, the savings should go into your pocket, not the customer's. Most of all, though, is that if you're going to charge professional prices you have to deliver professional results. A $40 8x10 has to look like it came from a pro lab. I would be cautious about toning prints he already has -- if you goof or if he simply doesn't like the way they look, you could be on the hook not only for a lost sale but also for the cost of replacing the print that you ruined. If you do it, I would be very clear that you do not accept liability for replacing the original print if he doesn't like the result.