Praktica Super TL - need help fixing film advance lever

<p>Hello all, I have a "Hanimex" Praktica Super TL I bought new in 1974 (I saved my lunch money for an entire school year to buy it). After a few years, the film advance lever stopped springing back to the rest position after winding a frame and has to be moved back manually. Once in a while, for reasons that are a mystery to me, it'll work properly for a few frames but inevitably malfunctions again. If the shutter is released before the lever is moved home, it will spring back with force. </p>

<p>Here's a youtube video showing the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FNMs79W0gs </p>

<p>I want to fix this once & for all, and while I'm at it, give the old girl a well-deserved tune-up. I studied some of the tutorials online but none give me confidence to attack the advance lever assembly. A repair manual would be ideal but I've had no luck finding one online. Any ideas?</p>

<p>Best,<br>

Russell</p>

<p>I had a similar problem once. Please try and Prise open the indicator plate in the center of the wind-on lever. You can do it with a sewing needle. It is simply stuck on. You will find a nut with two pin holes. It may be loose. Try tightening with an appropriate tool. I hope it solves the problem. It did in my Praktica.<br>

While you are at it also clean and lubricate that cavity. It seems that the wind-on lever in the Praktica is connected in a complex way to the film speed dial and the shutter release. So, when it is loose it seems to affect everything.<br>

Craig's camera used to sell repair manuals published by Hanimex Corporation. You may try Craig's for one. Best of luck. Let us know if you are successful. sp.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p><strong>Russell,</strong> glad you got it right and working; It is a very good camera and will take excellent pictures with the large variety M42 lenses available. One more thing to remember is that you must hold the shutter release button down all the way until the full exposure is over. Otherwise, the automatic aperture pusher will retract with your finger. This is a peculiarity of all the Prakticas until you get to the L-series. It may not make a difference at speeds higher than 1/60 sec. But at longer exposures it will make a difference. Good luck. sp</p>