Post Processing Challenge Nov 9, 2019

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

Saguenay Fjord, Quebec

_DSC5063.thumb.jpg.a23fcc1b18e3e97ecb50296b78c4c708.jpg

• Like 3

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

Saguenay Fjord, Quebec

[ATTACH=full]1317327[/ATTACH]

Another enchanting image you've gifted us with, Punta.

• Like 1

For a change ;), I decided to go 'subtle' on this photo. I like it and I had no inclination to edit in periscopes, water/kite/jet skiers, surfacing whales/dolphins or whatever.

I tried to retain the 'look and feel' of the original photo but also add some 'sparkle'. I undoubtedly have some PP apps that would have made a good first stab stab at adding an 'instant sparkle' but I wanted to do it step by step. So my steps in Photoshop were::

- Dehaze (100%) - which increases the saturation and darkness of the photo

- Decrease the saturation of the 2 ships and boat (by 100%)

- Apply medium contrast to the photo (applying curves) at 33%

- Brighten up the photo (especially mid-tones to highlights) using Curves at 70%

My aim was just to 'freshen up' the photo.;

2074012685_Ships-mike-1.thumb.jpg.188b1e0f2a59f53914da618b216fdba3.jpg

Edited by mikemorrell
  • Like 4

Thanks to all for your contributions to the Post Processing Challenge. If anyone else wants to post a challenge, please feel free to do so.

There is a bit of a story behind this photo, which I took at the small town of La Baie on the Saguenay Fjord. La Baie is now amalgamated with Chicoutimi and Jonquiere into the city of Saguenay in case you are trying to find it on a map. The fjord is known for Beluga and Minke whales and Humpbacks are often seen at the mouth of the Fjord on the St. Lawrence.

Anyway, 2 cruise ships arrived at this village while on a fall colours tour that originated in New York City. The other ship was moored at the dock and cannot be seen in this photo. You can see the shuttle to the left of the ship and the open plank near the water's edge on the right from which people were transported from this ship to the town.

That year (2011), the fall colours were late to arrive, particularly the reds of the abundant maples in the region (which is known for maple syrup and wild blueberries a little further north).

My wife and I were walking by the docked cruise ship when some people heard us speaking english instead of french. That was our mistake because a gaggle of angry septuagenarians let us have it about how the colours weren't what was promised on the tour, etc. etc. We learned our lesson and spoke our frenglish for the rest of our time by the dock.

I feel sorry for the poor folk of La Baie having been overrun by at least a thousand pissed-off New Yorkers looking for colour!

Anyway, after 8 years, I will do my best to give them their colour (if they are still with us).

All was done in PS. I cropped to level the horizon and then dis a bit of dehaze, texture and vibrance adjusting using the camera raw filter. I uses a gradient on the upper and lower parts of the photo to lower the exposure in those areas. Next I selected the 'forest' and copied it to a new layer. On that layer only through a clipping mask I did a hue/saturation adjustment to make the yellow trees more orange/red. I then painted out a few of the red trees on the mask to bring them back to yellow. I did a black border stroke and that's all folks.

1625797516_FallColoursCruise.thumb.jpg.419298a964cef2fd262b3be5ad5cc4c8.jpg

• Like 2