Post Processing Challenge 2nd December 2017

Another weekly challenge.

If anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate by Wednesday next in this thread if you are willing to try.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, but if you can give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun.

PPC_2ndDecember2017-Source.thumb.jpg.848e6060754bd23ded01c60b8b8c9563.jpg

1945310378_ppc12-1.thumb.jpg.6e83eb74c2e1e8464a2b6a1b884a8e22.jpg Nice image. I was attracted to the variety of houses and their arrangement on a somewhat random grid pattern. This is no cookie-cutter subdivision. (Parking looks to be a problem).

I isolated a group of houses and played with solarization in Photoshop CS5, adjusted levels, brightness and contrast, and then used tonal contrast in NIK ColorEfex. total time spent, about 20 minutes.

• Like 4

24920057158_5c3f15fdb2_b.jpgUntitled by David Stephens, on Flickr

Processed with DxO PhotoLab

1:1 crop

Level, based on "Cod Lobster" building

DxO ClearView +17

EV +77

Highlights -43

Shadows +56

Contrast +59

Microcontrast +33

Vibrancy +22

Unsharp Mask intensity +171 (base is 100)

Interesting to note, I was trying to adjust sharpness to 2017 levels, starting with a 2009 file, with relatively low resolution, by today's standards. I couldn't get there, but it looks fine at internet sizes.

• Like 5

Here's my shadowy version. I need some window lights like Ken and manta included. Gerald, Thanks for naming the site. It was fun looking Staithes up on Google images and seeing all the variations and perspectives. Your photo is a great capture!seavillage.thumb.jpg.fe777b9ff445bddabf112d09be67f505.jpg
  • Like 5

When I posted this challenge I thought about what I might choose to do to it. My Idea was/is similar to the one posted by Glenn.

Basic adjustments and crop in LR, homing in on the rooftops. Then opened in Color Efex Pro, Bleach Bypass preset applied with high saturation added. While in Color Efex a black border added, sharpening done in NIK sharpener Pro but it had little effect. Am I happy with the result, not sure. Back in the day we used to spend weekly holidays under one of these roofs, so I have many different interpretations of this charming small fishing village. Even the locals have to park their cars at the top of the hill and walk down.

PPC_021217-FinalEdi.thumb.jpg.e0e0f9efb6aea86f00a975793e9983c2.jpg

• Like 5