Possible PN member page view counter bug

stevemarcus

I noticed over the weekend that if you are logged in to your photo.net

account, the newly incorporated view counter does not advance each

time you view your own community member page (this is a good thing).

However, if you are not logged in, the view counter does advance each

time you view your own member page, thereby making it possible for

those who care about such things to artificially inflate their member

page views. Just wanted to bring this possible bug to the attention of

the site maintainers in case they were unaware of it.

That is true, but I can't see how to fix it. If you are logged out, we have no way to know that it is "really" you when you visit your own page. This counter is mainly for the interest of the person who owns the page, to give them an idea of how popular "their" page is. If they want to inflate the number themselves and brag about how many visitors they have, I guess I don't care enough to stop them.

I am not planning on basing anything on this number. I don't foresee a "Most Popular Community Member Pages" feature based on this counter, for example, or anything like that.

Surely, member page views will not turn into a competition between members. Who cares how many times a members page is visited? Isn't it reasonable that senior members who have been active here for years would have developed more relationships than new members. Shouldn't a higher number of visits on their pages be expected? What about those that post more often to the forums? Do page visits have anything to do with photography? I say click away to those who want to bump their page views. It means nothing.

My hope is that our attention will remain focused on those issues that really count.

<i>"I am not planning on basing anything on this number. I don't foresee a "Most Popular Community Member Pages" feature based on this counter, for example, or anything like that."</i><p>Brian, sincere apologies, that'll teach me to read the previous responses before diving in.

People were putting counters from sites that specialize in generating counters into their biographies, and there were at least two posts in this forum in the last month where someone was asking how this could be done. So, it seems like some people want to know how often their Community Member page is being looked at.